Kindergarten

so my DH went to talk to the school counseler today about his DD (11) after talking for a while he mentioned our DD (4) will be going to school next yr. They both want her tested for the gifted students class. Im not sure if shes above average or just where she should be but i dont want her board in school.
She starting to read and picking it up quickly shes reading Bob books right now
She knows math adding subtracting (usually up to 10) can count to 100, graph items, recognize numbers, tell time to the hour
She knows all shapes,colors,letter sounds,letters and numbers
She writing (not spelling she writes the letters as i spell the words)
Uses the computer
She does K and 1st grade worksheets with me only reading the directions she doesnt want help from me and usually gets them all right.

I never dealt with K yet with my kids we got custody for DH DD when she started 3rd grade.
So do you think shes average or above average?

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 12:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• "bored"
    Anonymous

• She might be a little above? My dd is in Kinder and could write, read, and count, and do some adding and subtractions when she started Kinder. The Ed center tried to get me to put her in another school for advanced gifted kids, but I declined. Once she actually starts school you will get a better idea of where she stands.

Answer by gemgem at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• thanks for correcting the spelling of "board" anonymous helps with my question

gemgem thanks it wouldnt be at a diff. school just the subjects shes advanced in. Like my nephew is in the gifted classes for math and science but regulary for the rest hes 5th grade. I just wanted to see what other kids in K go in knowing already she seems average to me and i wont want to put to much pressure on to have to know more than she can handle. When we do things its always a game or fun way of doing it not just sit there and do worksheets lol.
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My oldest dd was in advanced gifted classes from the time she was very small, and honestly if I had to do it over again I would not have done that to her. It got to be so much once she got older, and I really think she resented me for having her in those classes. But hey its just my opinion and I am not a rocket scientist or anything lol.

Answer by gemgem at 12:34 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i would hate for that to happen i know my best friend was in those classes once he hit 5th grade he always had double homework and hated those classes. Thanks
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think the answer is going to depend on what your regular school curriculum looks like. You'll find what constitutes kindergarten material varies greatly between school districts nationwide. Find out what they'll be doing in class and how it relates to what your daughter can do today.

Other things to consider:
    - If you don't test now, do you have the option of exploring placement in gifted programs mid-year or at the start of the next year?
    - If you do test and subsequently start her in such a program, can you opt-out down the road if she seems to be leveling off with her same-grade peers?
    - Are there in class opportunities to challenge an advanced student?

Some things you've listed are likely above expectations for a child starting K. However, many kids enter with 'above expectation' skills now a days. Some of them level off by 3rd grade. Others continue to work ahead of expectations throughout their school career
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• OP - reading your follow-up I think your daughter is lucky to have a mom that realizes learning can be fun, young kids pick up new skills best when they can experience and play AND dictate their pace. Kudos to you! :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• thanks idmrmom i never thought about the opting out part. I know when my niece started K she was about how my daughter is now but shes in 2nd grade and "leveled" off
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011