If you live in the same town you were born in.....

why?
Is it a large city/area? Or small town?
did you go away to college and come back? Or just stay?

Do you vacation else where?
Have you every lived anywhere else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes. Born and raised in Phoenix, AZ
    Big City
    No College
    I vacation up north in Sedona, Arizona
    I LOVE THE SUN!!!!
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I live in the same town I was born in. I went to college there, but moved away for 3 years. I came back a few years ago since where I was living had zero jobs and I wanted my son to be near his other family members.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• oh and it is a mid-sized city.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was raised a Navy brat and moved constantly. When I was an adult I up and moved becauseI wanted a new start. Met my hubby the first month in my new city and stayed. It is now 20+ years later and my kids are in high school.... I really expect them to go away to college and make an educated choice as to where they live and not just settle here because that is all they know.  We are activity encouraging them to apply to out of state schools so they can grow and learn what it is like to live in other areas.

So Im all ways curious why people NEVER leave what they know.  If they leave and come back... that I understand.  But to never even leave... I would love insight.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I always wonder the same thing, especially about those who live in rural towns where there is NOTHING! Some of these towns barely have a post office, let alone any job prospects. It's harder for me, on a social level, to understand too. To never know anything at all outside of one teeny-weeny town full of nothing but white people (and I am caucasian, just so you know) and moldy-smelling old anglo-Christian churches, and maybe a Tastee-Freeze. I find it difficult to talk to people who choose that because they are so small-minded and ignorant. They simply don't know what's out there and they are afraid to find out, but they cling violently to their beliefs about the world...and it's just...sad...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Some people don't THINK to leave. My parents moved me away from our hometown when I was only 11 so I had no choice, but we still going back once a year to visit and it's amazing how close minded people are when they're used to something. I don't mean that just because you don't leave your hometown means you are closeminded, I don't want anybody to take offense, I'm just saying that there are people out there who are raised to literally not know any different. Their parents didn't question living elsewhere, nor did anybody in their family. It is just natural for some people to stay where they're from and not dream big. Sad to people like me and you, but no different to them. I have friends that still live in my hometown that sometimes say they're jealous I live in CA and I ask why they don't move and they're just like "ehh". It's just not something they think is possible, for whatever reason.
    Anonymous

• Wow. Just wow. I grew up in a small town (3500) and now live less than 20 miles away in a smaller town (600). I love the area, I love being rural, I love how quiet it is. I have traveled all over, been to the biggest cities in the US, I have seen so much, and I can't imagine living anywhere else. Sure, there are a few downsides to living rurally - I have to drive almost 20 miles each way for groceries/doctors/hospitals/etc, but it's worth it. The area is just too good to leave. I'm the farthest thing from small-minded and ignorant - it's small-minded and ignorant to assume crap like that about those of us that choose to live this way. We have plenty of jobs around here - in fact, we have tons of open jobs right now because people think they have to live in big cities where there aren't jobs to be found. Ugh, I get so sick of people making assumptions about the kind of life we love!
    Anonymous

• I have lived most of my life within 10 miles of the hospital I was born in. I moved across the country twice to "get away from here" LOL but when it was time to have a family, I wanted to be close to family, and we won't leave now. We like it here. It is a small town, and our parents are here.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My mom and aunts and uncles were all raised Air Force brats, if that's what you call them lol, so they moved around a lot. My grandpa was born and raised here in North Ga, and that's where he retired to, even though most of the kids were born in Mississippi, North Carolina, and Texas. I was born and raised here, and though I've said I want to leave, I really don't. I couldn't wait to get out when I was a kid, but one trip up North to Kentucky, and I'm a Georgian for life. lol I go to Savannah on vacation, where my dad's grandpa lived and died, because I feel drawn there, but I always come home to the mountains!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• "We have plenty of jobs around here - in fact, we have tons of open jobs right now because people think they have to live in big cities where there aren't jobs to be found. Ugh, I get so sick of people making assumptions about the kind of life we love"

@ the anonymous poster quoted above: I was referring to those people who have NEVER ventured elsewhere...the ones who DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA what the world outside their small towns are like. I know these people. I grew up in rinky-dink small towns in the prairies of the Midwest. Trust me. I know. The difference is that I left and saw the world. I could never go back to living that lifestyle, but I don't find fault with anyone who chooses it without closing their minds to new learning. And, by the way, I would venture a guess that your small town with the abundance of jobs is a serious exception to the rule.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011