How much does a "Live" Christmas tree cost?

My fake one I have had for years broke when I tried to put together today, so I am wondering how much a real tree cost on average? I don't need anything huge, and can't afford much. I don't want to get there and find I can't afford one and walk away embarrassed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Holidays

• I think it depends on where you live. I live on Long Island an we go out East and cut down our own tree for $35 any size. But if you go to a nursery or something like that it can be anywhere from $45 to over $100.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It does depend on where you live, but you can usually find one for $20 - $50. If you want a smaller one, they can be as cheap as $10. Also, if you wait more towards Christmas, they usually get cheaper. With a real tree you want to wait a couple of weeks before putting it up any way. They don't last as long in the house as they are a real tree. Also, look online for ways to lengthen the time of it's vitality when you do get one. There are things that you can put in the water to help the tree keep it's luster. Check your local news paper. They usually will have lists of places to get them and price ranges. Don't ever be afraid to ask the tree personell for a discount. I ALWAYS haggle prices with everyone! You never know when you will be able to save $ just for asking!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We bought a fake one because we were paying 50-75 each for year. I got one on sale after Christmas a few years ago for $50 and it's really nice. Cost less than the real one we got that year. Even if we only use it for a couple of years it's paid for itself.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Fred Meyers sells them cheap for 15.00 that how much we pay
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 1:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We have a fake one. But with all this talk about lead being in fake christmas trees and the lights I've considered a real one too.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• You might try freecycle for another fake, or Goodwill or Salvation Army. If you really like the idea of a real tree, I think most around here are between $30-$40 and decent fakes start at $60 new.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• To much... As I see it unless you are planting two... We are all paying for all those "Live" trees! Buy Fake!
    Anonymous

• Mine cost £220 this year and this is the first time buying a real one.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 12:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2008