Weird funeral question

I haven't been to a funeral in years, my family didn't really believe in them. I plan to go to one tomorrow for someone I knew.

here's the technical question,
I use a ride service where I have to schedule what time I get there and what time I leave. The funeral home has no idea how long the service will be, so no help there.
I'm thinking I'll just set the time to be there for about a hour and a half, and if I have to leave early, then I will.
most people that will be attending are pretty laid back, so I assume that this will be OK.

I know it's never polite to leave things early, but I can't ask the ride service to wait as they have to make connections to get people to things like Dialysis and other important rides.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? seems like with all things in life like having to leave because of needing to get to kids and all this can't be unheard of.

any thoughts?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• An hour and a half should be plenty of time for the service. You may even find yourself waiting around for your ride. You do what you have to do in your life and with your ride. If they dont understand then to bad. You tried to do the respectful thing and thats all you can do.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'm sure, if they're aware of your situation, that they will understand. I know I certainly would. And I think an hour and a half is plenty of time.

If it's really bothering you to have to leave early, can you maybe see if someone at the funeral, maybe a friend of yours or something, would agree to give you a ride home after?

I really think you'll be fine, though.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'm sure it's fine.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Your timing sounds perfect. How nice that you are making all these arrangement to pay your respects and everyone will completely understand if you have to leave early.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• people usually don't stay all day at wakes unless they are family. the services could be from 2 to 8 that day, so it depends on how long you want to stay to pay your condolescences.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have been to 3 funerals in 3 months and an hour and a half should be just fine
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• hour and a half is fine - don't sit in front in case you have to leave - your presence is respectful
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 4:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011