I love to crochet but..........

My mother taught me how to crochet when I was 7 yrs old....it's kind of a tradition in our family, all the girls MUST learn to crochet starting at age 7 (don't ask lol)...while most mothers are teaching their children how to cook, mine was teaching me a triple crochet lol....so I'm really good at making stuff but I can't cook at all lol.

Anyways I love to crochet but I get anxious for the finished product and when it takes longer than I originally anticipated I put it down and start on something else..then I see something else I want to make and so I put that project down and start on something else...it's a vicious cycle and the outcome is that in 20 yrs I've only completed probably 4 things.

I would really love to start making things to sell...try to help my hubby bring in some extra money since I'm SAHM.

How do I keep the motivation to keep working on my current project once I see something else I would rather be making?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My mother crochets and she had the same problem for awhile, i think if you start with smaller projects so that they will be easier and take less time to complete, this way you will see what you have accomplished and feel good about it wanting to then do more and bigger projects. OR like she does, she will start like 3 things, and do one til she gets bored then switch and then switch again rotating so there isn't one that gets boring. Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I crochet and have my own little business doing it :) Start small. Have you tried making the crocheted animals/toys? What about dish cloths? Hats? Scarves? I make hats, scarves, and a few other things. I prefer them over queen size bedspreads, lol. Those take FOREVER!  http://www.fortheloveofscarves.blogspot.com/

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Simple, think the sooner I finish the sooner I can being in some money to help out my family. Good luck. Post some of the things you've finished or started we'd love to see. You never know some people might put in orders. I'll be looking out for your post.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 1:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Simply resist the urge to do anything else.

At any time I usually have at least 3 projects (knit/crochet) going, and I work them in tendem so I don't get bored if one is really monotonous.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• what helps me is setting a time aside everyday that you can work on your crotcheting, like when the kids are down for a nap, and just concentrate on that. fit it into your daily schedule. you have to start getting dinner ready at a certain time, right? or the housework/pay bills? find a time that you can work on it for an hour or two every day, and you'll be able to crank out plenty of projects in a very short amount of time. that's what i had to do for my online schooling. i made the hubby take the baby and threatened him with death if he disturbed me ;)
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 1:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have 2 or three different projects going at a time, so that when one gets boring or tedious I can just pick up the next. Maybe you could try that? Just file the things you want to make, and when you finish one of your three, you start on the next :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011