listerosis and how likely is it?

my dr said not suppose to have hotdogs or lunch meat? i mean is it really something to be concerned about? i understand hotdogs and its easy to boil them first but i dont see the point to microwave lunch turkey has anyone ever had or know any one with listerosis?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard of this before and I've been pregnant 3 times. I'll have to look it up...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I am in my 2nd pregnancy and I have never heard this before I know their is certain sea foods you can't eat (not that I like any of them lol), but I have never heard of anything about lunch meat. And I don't eat hot dogs so it's not a concern for me but still never heard anything about hot dogs either
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 7:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My sister-in-law's best friend lost her baby because of listeriosis. Needless to say, I basically didn't eat deli meat (or I made sure it was thoroughly cooked) throughout my pregnancy. Soft cheeses (like brie, feta and bleu) can also cause listeriosis.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 8:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have heard the same information as jilby and I wouldn't take the chance honestly. The stuff I have found on listeriosis says to heat your hotdogs and deli meats to steaming hot...it would be worth it not to take the risk.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It's LISTERIA. You can have those things if you want. The chances of actually getting listeria from hot dogs or lunch meat are VERY SMALL. I eat Subway & have lunch meat at home sometimes. If you're worried about it, heat your lunch meat in the microwave for 30 seconds, then re-chill it in the fridge for a little while. Hot dogs aren't as much of a concern unless you normally eat them cold.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I realized that I didn't address the full question in my earlier answer. Listeriosis (the disease caused by listeria bacteria) is not very commom. Only a very small percentage of pregnant women will get it (though pregnant women are more suseptible to it than non-pregnant women). The reason why doctors recommend avoiding foods that cause it during pregnancy, even though it isn't a common illness, is because of the possible very serious side effects, which include miscarriage, premature delivery and or a stillborn baby. As I mentioned above, I knew a women who lost her baby because of listeriosis, so I was extra careful when I was pregnant about foods that could carry it. Here's a Web site with some good information on listeria and listeriosis: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 12:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2008