Anyone use PHYLLO DOUGH?

You can achieve the same results as it with using plain flour tortillas and add a dab of crisco to your frying pan,sautee both sides of the tortilla and fill them with cinnamon and sugar and some melted butter for something like a churro,my daughter loves them.If you want more info on this contact me.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 1:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Sounds yummy!

Answer by older at 1:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Make sure your frying pan is hot and you use a tablespoon or half of it ,make sure the edges of the tortilla are oiled,that's what makes them crispy.
    countingsparows

Comment by countingsparows (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• what do you do with the phyllo dough? this sounds yummy! Also can you use margarine rather than the Crisco?
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 1:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• For that the tortilla is a replacement. There are tons of things in which phyllo cannot be substituted, i.e. spanikopita, baklava.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 1:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No, it's not anywhere near the same.
    Anonymous

• tortillas are way too thick to be used in place of phyllo, we dont really like them except for Mexican food, my kids wont eat a wrap sandwich or anything like that....phyllo is a staple at out house as we are Greek...
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well I make crispy flaky tortillas by using CRISCO it gives almost the same consistancy as phyllo dough,this was really just a fun experiment with food I shouldn't say it's exactly like phyllo dough or should I say to make baklava with it but you could if you really wanted to it would just be a different recipe.
    countingsparows

Comment by countingsparows (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I like to make something like a churro,I get a hot frying pan, with 1 tbsp,or half of it ,of CRISCO, and then I fry the flour tortilla on both sides,let the tortilla bubble-crisco does this to the tortilla,kids would like to see a tortilla bubble up.. then I put a tablesppoon of melted butter on top of the tortilla and then I sprinkle splenda and cinnamon on the top of the tortilla not back of it,well I guess you could but it will be messy.Then I fold the tort and dribble a little honey on it,for a better version,melt butter and powder sugar and dribble a little of that on the tort=tortilla. My daughter and my family loves these,I eat these rather than a cinnamon roll.
    countingsparows

Comment by countingsparows (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I use phyllo instead of pie crusts sometimes...especially for apple pies. I also use them for tarts.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Sounds yummy
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2011