Can I produce colostrum when I haven't been breastfeeding for over a year??

For fear of giving out "TMI", I'll give the short version: I am in fact producing colostrum. Before I noticed this, I kind of had that feeling of becoming engorged. Has anyone else experienced this/know anyone that has? Do you know the possible explanation? It seems weird to me.

sgalsmommy

Asked by sgalsmommy at 11:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Health

• Could you be pregnant? Or are you on any kind of hormonal medication? (birth control?)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my SIL was still producing over two years after having her daughter... it was around her period she did this
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I pretty sure I'm not pregnant; we certainly haven't been trying, and I'll know for certain Monday when my cycle should start.... Also, I don't take birth control. My doctor advised against it because I frequently have migraines.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's nice to know that someone else has experienced this :-)
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yes!
    I was still getting milk on one side after 18 months of not nursing.... my doctor assured me it was nothing to be worried about.
    mommy010605

Answer by mommy010605 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Great! Thanks ladies... just needed that reassurance. Hope you all have a nice holiday weekend.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yeah hon, I still had milk a year after weaning!! After I finally quit for a few months, then bam pregnant ,so here we go again! lmao
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 3:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• if you find any answers please let me know ,b/c I havent been breast feeding for 1 1/2 yrs and still have it and it is driving me nuts ,i went to the doctors and they tested me for something ,but came back neg ,(cant remember what it was though )something to do with too much of a certain hormone, . so please help me as well ,,my boobs dont feel sexy to me any more ,and I hate my hubby touching them .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• By chance do you drink wal mart milk? It happend to a friend of mine recently. The horemoans they inject the cows with pass into the milk, and it caused her to lactate.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• ColleenF30, I hate to openly admit this, but I'm not a big milk drinker and what we drink doesn't come from WalMart, but that's good information to have! Thanks for sharing.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 5:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008