For mama's with "mental issues"

I have bipolar disorder.

When I was pregnant with my 4 yr old I was also dealing with the death of my oldest child who passed away at 18 months old (God rest her soul) and so I was on numerous anti-depressants and other medications.....I tried to commit suicide so everyone agreed that the risk of the medication to the baby would be a great deal less then the risk of me trying to commit suicide again (that was for any mom who might bash for me being on pysch meds while pregnant) Kelley-Christina is now 4 yrs old, healthy and happy.

With THIS pregnancy I went completly off all my medications and to tell you the truth I feel okay....yes I have my blue days and I have my rage days but I think all in all I'm adjusting pretty okay (although you would have to check with my husband to get his side of the story lol)

I'm starting to kind of wonder if I need the medication at all and I was wondering what my CM friends thought....should I just leave them alone and continue to just try every day to keep my moods in check or am I going to....relapse for lack of a better word...If you've ever stopped your meds how did it go?

Thanx mama's

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• I don't know.. from what I have read about BiPolar, isn't it longer bouts of happy then manic states? Its great you are feeling so great and I am so so sorry for your previous loss.. *hugs*
    I have anxiety depression and social issues along with untreated ADHD.. I often think about getting off meds and doing it more natural and herbal but I am terrified.. I am a Hot Mess when I am off my meds or have to do a med change due to tolerance build up so it scares me.. but I will tell you, I have been thinking about it more and more lately for some reason
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• June Mama, that because Paxil is a horrible drug and I can't believe they haven't taken it off the market for how much damage it does / or can do I should say..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I've never been in your shoes, but if you are still controlling you moods I'd try to continue to leave them alone. Only you know when you might be crossing the line, at that point call your doctor.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have anxiety and it was really bad after I had my son. They put me on Paxil and to tell you the truth it made everything 10x worse. I was mad one minute, crying the next, then super happy. Weaning myself of it was awful too! Honestly you just need coping techniques. If you start to not feel ok though please make sure you go to a dr right away. But if you feel as if you can do it then go for it, just let your dr. know your plan
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• And btw I am way happier without the meds
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, from my experience (I have had manic depressive disorder and acute anxiety since high school), it is not good to just completely go off your meds, cold turkey. If I even skip a day of meds, I'm "crazy", for lack of a better word. There are several anti-depressants that are safe for pregnant women, so maybe ask your doctor about switching?
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i was not diagnosed yet when i was pregnant with my girls (i have bipolar), so i was not on meds. for me post partem hits real hard really bad. i would say if you and your doctor are ok with you staying off meds then try it, but dont feel bad if you have to go back on them either.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• @maxsmom...my "manic" episodes are more like episodes of pure, unadultered rage....I get FURIOUS about things and then go back and think about them and realize that I TOTALLY over-reacted...they honestly scare me...but yes your right, they are rare...more often I'm just very, very sad....

Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• How often are the Rages that you do have when on and off meds? does it make a difference? I have had similar rages since having my son but never thought it was anymore than an over stressed feeling from my other issues.. that kind of hit and scared me when I read that..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If you feel you can do it, I would do it under a doctor's supervision. JMO, but I've lived with a bipolar person for most of my life(not now, of course) and the disorder makes you think you don't need the meds, plus most people *enjoy* their manic phases. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011