Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it worth my time getting a review on my child support case even though it is going to end in 3 months

15 yrs ago I started getting child support and was never really getting much because it only went by my ex's job and his national guard checks were never figured into the child support. I went along with my ex when he said to not mention his extra income because they wouldn't count the guard check anyway.
I was young and stupid and now see that I should have been getting money from all his income combined. Now I just have a few months left and wonder if it is worth it for me to get a review of his payments.

Just to let you know I am not out for more money this is about making sure he has paid his full amount he has never given the kids anything extra and not even gifts or cards he has always said "you already have my money" well $500 for 3 kids isn't much considering alot of men pay more then that plus pay for daycare and extra's. My kids just got a cold shoulder from their dad.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • Not unless the judge will reto any pay increases to it for months or years before. If the ex didnt make a significant amount more than when the order started I wouldnt bother.

    Answer by vbruno at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • So besides money what more would you be getting? He is still giving the children the cold shoulder?

    Answer by meooma at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Not counting the guard check was fraud. I don't think you can get dinged for going along with it. I would ask an attorney but on the face of it... HELL YEAH it's worth it.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • I'm not sure what your goal is here. If it's not for the money, then what? Him paying more isn't going to make all the cold shoulders better. What's done is done.

    There's a quote I love, "Those who live in the past, limit their future." I think you need to move on.

    Answer by 4EqltyMom at 1:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • If the judge isn't going to make him go back and pay, which is rare, I wouldn't waste my time.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • If he owes an arrears then yes. My mil was owed 9900 when my dh was 18. The judge extended child support to age 21 (allowable in NC if the child is at home or attends college). She was also awarded payment from the arrears indefinitely until he caught up. He was still going to court when my husband was 29 and still paying my mil.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Really I wouldnt waste my time if you would be using an attorney it would be more cost than it would be worth. If you would be using a free attorney by the state your case probbaly wouldnt even be ready. If he does owe arearages then maybe you should look into doing something.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • I think that this is a question, that honestly, only you can answer, as to why you are truly thinking about doing this now, and what will come out of it to benefit your children. In my opinion, child support is set up for the custodial parent to HELP them w/ the expenses of raising a child. It's meant to help YOU support your children. You def. could've used a lot more than $500 a mo. to help you out w/ 3 kids. If they are gonna do a review of his income over all these yrs. and make him make that up, then in my opinion it would be worth it. However if they are gonna do that, then that could mean a long drawn out process, while he's getting proof of income for the past, etc. I've learned the hard way, that you can't make a parent, be a parent, unless they truly want to be. Reviewing the cs won't get him to be anything to his kids that he isn't willing to be. I feel for you and wish you the best.

    Answer by HappyEndings at 1:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • The thing is she is going to college and the extra money would help there because college kids still do need money

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Talk to an attorney and then decide. Depending on what is Guard Pay is, he probably owes thousands. It is certainly money your child could use for college.

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.