Black Friday Death! Also posted in shopping

I personally can not stand the whole "Black Friday" thing, however I don't care if other people want to do it. But today, on Long Island a man who worked for Wal-Mart was trampled to death by over 200 people. Also, during that a rush a pregnant woman was pushed to the floor causing her to miscarry. Can you imagine!? This is just one of the reasons I will never enter a store on Black Friday! Is saving maybe $20 bucks worth killing people? I am just so disturbed by this!
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Holidays

• It is unreal and sad. I have been telling people that the same things they have in the stores for 1 day you can get online for a few days. Most stores are doing it now to reduce the madness. People should be ashamed of themselves for walking on top of someone just get a product.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I just heard about it on the news. Its tragic!!!! I have only gone shopping on black Friday ONCE 10 yrs ago.... never ever again!! I had people fighting with me because I got the last box of icicle lights for $1.29. Its just not worth it..... and I'm poor!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Girl.. I was in Walmart last night around 10:00, they had started to put the TV's out on display. Some guy standing there told us we could go ahead and buy one, so we carried it to the front... It would not ring up at all. The cashier called the manager over and he told us, these items weren't even for sale at regular price until 5:00 AM. So, we put it back, walked to the back of the store, calmly picked up the item that was the same model, same size, etc.. only exactly 100.00 more! We bought it, walked to the front, checked out and left. $100.00 less for a TV? NOT WORTH getting up at 5:00 and fighting the crowds for that.. Oh, and we found out, most of the items they put out for that special are things not regularly carried anyway.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• thats terrible but i suppose to people who are on a tight budget saving 20bucks or more is worth it not killing someone over it but fighting the crowds. me personally i never shop on this day ever. Why a pregnant women would choose to shop on this day is beyond me im 18wks and wouldnt go this year if i was a normal black friday shoper. people need to slow down and watch out its amazing how rude others are during todays shoping. hopefully anyone who went out today was carefull to watch for others.
    Anonymous

• my grandmother works for walmart and has for many years. they order so many of these special items that chance are they will still be there and still be on sale for atleast 48hours after wards unless they do sale out. i wait till friday night or saturday morning to go see whats left and if anything is worth buying. many of there items arnt carried reqularly and they usualy over order so they have to sell them.
    Anonymous

• I think Black Friday is stupid. The people out there shopping are even crazier. Why drag your whole family out in the dark and cold to save a few dollars. Why not put a little time and effort into Christmas shopping and buy things earlier in the year?

All it shows is how petty and greedy people are. They'd rather fight with complete strangers for some junk that they don't need than spend the day off with their families. I'm home with my hubby and son today. We slept in and we're going to spend the day putting up Christmas decorations. By far a better way to spend "Black Friday".
    Anonymous

• It is horrible. I went to Walmart at 9:30 today, and avoided the morning rush just for that reason--the news always shows rabid Walmart shoppers. Who is more to blame the store and its procedures (which are not well managed in my opinion), or the psycho shoppers? Let's hope that family sues Walmart, and they change things in a MAJOR way. There is no excuse for that man's death, it sickens me.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Sad and sickening, I hope that poor pregnant woman is okay. My heart goes out to that poor man's family.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It is so different here, but yes, it is terrible that things get that out of hand. I LOVE shopping on Black Friday because I'm from a small town and people are actually calm, friendly, and helpful...I can't imagine being somewhere bigger and having to worry about my physical safety going out shopping just because there are a few deals?! That is just crazy! Incidents like that just suck the joy and spirit out of the fun and it is too bad because there is no excuse for behavior like that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• That's why I get my grocery shopping done the day before Thanksgiving, and then we hole up at home and don't leave it again until Monday morning! LOL Seriously, I will not go to any store on Black Friday. It disgusts me to see how these people act.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2008