Anyone ever have a toddler that is overly concerned with things that are different?

one of my 18 month old twins is overly concerned with messes or when things are seemingly in the wrong place.

if he finds something on the floor like a cherrio he gets whiney and brings it to me and seems pretty concerned about it.
if the highchairs are in a different room, rather than the kitchen where they normally are, he "talks" about it and shows everyone and pushes them back into the kitchen.

its pretty cute but I'm wondering if its pretty normal for some kids to be overly concerned with things like that, or could he be reacting negatively to something like stress or anything like that?

I'm not too concerned because he's a happy baby, and its cute when he always wants to clean up, I'm mostly just wondering if it's pretty normal. (my nephew was a little like this too so I assume it IS normal)

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• My only son has been a clean freak since he could walk, well before that, we would have to vaccum LITERALLY 30 times a day.. he loves to sweep and puts all his stuff away and if he see's something out of place he throws it away or fixes it - has to eat with a wash cloth by him and needs to be washed up instantly after eating lol.. he's 3-1/2 and some of those things have calmed down a little but not all of them
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have heard of kids with OCD but am not sure at what age it begins.
    sweetiepie8540

Answer by sweetiepie8540 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• at 18 months it could be a phase or it could turn out to be a red flag to something else but I wouldn't be to concerned just yet. Wait a year or so and see if it calms down or gets worse or if you ever notice anything else you feel is unusual. IMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• All that stuff seems normal to me. I've had four kids and they all did that stuff. The wierdest thing I ever saw, and I felt so embarassed, but my daughter was afraid of black people when she was really small!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We had that for a while with the oldest. It got pretty intense a couple of times but gradually he began to change. Things like not putting matching sheets on the beds, or sheets that weren't his would completely set him off. He constantly made patterns and saw patterns in everything. If you gave him 9 block, 3 different colors, and had him stack the colors and then asked him to hand you one he froze-he could not make a decision as to which stack to make smaller because it would break the pattern. This started at a very early age and continued until almost the end of kindergarten...
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2011