Baby or toddler first?

Ok at lunch its an everyday ritchual. My 4yr. old is hungry and my 2 mo. old is screeming at the same time. Should I feed the toddler first or take care of the baby. P.S. the toddler is crying to eat and he does get a morning snack, but it seems easier to get him to stop winning before I take care of baby.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hmmm... I think I would preamp the routine and try to have a lunch ready and in the fridge for the toddler when time comes. Like cut fruit, cheese and crackers, hummus and pretzel sticks, sandwich... so I could just pull it out at will. I would also invest in a sling so I could [reform task with the 2 month old close by and maybe prevent some of the extra fussing while caring for the toddler.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would set the toddler up a the table with the meal, then tend to the needs of the baby. Your toddler SHOULD be able to feed himself while you feed the baby.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have been there and what I have d one was let the baby cry just one more minute while I whip together a sandwich then sit at the table and feed the baby while the older eats
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would try to feed baby a little earlier (before the screaming) and then you'll be ready for the 'big kid"

'
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• At 4 he should be able to get himself something to eat. he's not a toddler or a baby, he's a preschooler and capable of making himself a sandwich if you teach him.
    My youngest dd has been getting her own lunch since she was 3 (she's about to turn 5 next week).

He's also old enough to understand the baby can't wait for her food and that he can and can wait patiently without whining about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011