Is there any one out there like me?

I got married to a wonderful man in June. I have two children and he has two children. We both have custody of our kids. Our new blended family has been a harder challenge than either of us imagined. I've done a whole lot of web surfing on the subject lately to get advice but most of what I have found is blended families with only one of the spouses biological children living with them full time and the others children only coming on weekends and holidays. I feel like I am alone, but I know there has to be other moms with similar circumstances. This is why I joined CM. So please if you are like me, introduce yourself....

melia04

Asked by melia04 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm not a mom of a blended family but, I was a child of a blended family. My day had 3 kids and my step-mother had 3 kids. The ages of the kids were 17, 15, 13, 11, 7 and 5. We all lived together. It was very hard for everyone! Please let me know if I can help at all.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• well I will add another response that will be of little help, but hopefully it will make you feel less alone. My cousin has the same situation as you. She has two of her own, and he has two of his own, they both have custody, and now they have together, which I think helps bring the family together. Unfortunetly I haven't talked to her since they got married because she lives far away, but I just thought i'd tell you so you know at least that your not the only one! good luck in your search
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my boyfriend and i have 4 year old twin girls together and his 2 sons, 12 and 10, live with us fulltime. it can be really hard at times with the boys not wanting to listen to me or think they have to. their dad and i are not married yet but we've been together for about 5 years so i think i have the right and ability to discipline them. it causes conflic between their dad and i because we have different parenting styles. if you think i might be able to help you at all or just want to vent to me my ears are open to you. i know i would like to vent sometimes. none of my friends have step kids so they don't understand.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Try joining some of the step-mom groups. There are all sorts of family situations. Maybe no one is EXACTLY like you but we all have similar problems.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Being a step parent can be hard....you and your SO should take parenting classes so that you get on the same page with raising the children....Parenting classes are not for bad parents they are for parents who care about their children and want to raise healty children into healthy adults.
    malam

Answer by malam at 3:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I have 2 sons, 10 and 11 1/2, and my DH has a son, 8. Together we have a 16 month old. They all live with us full time. His son only came to live with us and is going to school with my boys since the beginning of this school year. It has actually gone quite smoothly. It was his sons choice to live with us. The transition wasn't bad since he spent summers and every weekend here, anyway. The "other" parent's are all very active in my boys and his sons lives, which helps a lot. They get along.... well, like brothers. PM me if you want to talk.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I read the book Blended Families...it covers pretty much any type of family and helped alot. I am sorry I dont know the author off the top of my head but just google it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2008