Head Banging?

My son started banging his head when he was frustrated around 13 months. I looked up info about it, which told me to ignore him. I tried that for a day, and then he banged his head so hard that I thought he really hurt himself. When he did that, I put him in time-out and have only had to deal with this 2 more times since then (almost 2 months ago). Every time I ask someone about it, they tell me that he probably doesn't understand the time-out, but it seems like it worked. Now I feel a little guilty, but I think it was the best solution because I do not want him to get hurt. Anyone have experience with this, and if so, how did you handle it? Also, with that method, how long did it take before it came to a complete stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter used to do that. Finally, one day in the car, I'd had enough. I told my hubs to pull over, I got out, opened the door to the backseat and said, "You wanna bang your head? I'll bang it for you!!!" Seeing me that upset and threatening, she stopped and never did it again! lol I dont know as I would recommend that method, but it worked for me! lol
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 2:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_head-banging_11554.bc
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My son used to do the same thing around that age. Now he smacks himself in the head...he's 19 months old. I've ignored it since day one. There have been a couple of times when he's "hurt" himself but I ignore that as well. Seems to be happenening less and less now. I know its common for kids to do those things when they are frustrated and cannot express their feelings but I think ignoring it is the best thing to do. And if he hurts himself...well maybe he'll learn his lesson and not do it anymore.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My son has never done that but I do remember a kid I used to babysit every now and then he would do it to get his moms attention, and I let her know but she didnt believe that he would only do it when she was around.
    Jazbel

Answer by Jazbel at 6:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my son does it too. his doctor said it is a phase that some kids goes through. just ignore them they will stop. just make sure that he doesnt head bang something that is dangerous to him.
    catlady33860

Answer by catlady33860 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011