I am 48 and just went for my yearly check. She couldn't do the pap exam since my cervex has tilted so far back. She is sending me to a Gynocologist that specializes with this. How dangerous is this being tilted so far back?

Sue C.

Asked by Sue C. at 2:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• it shouldnt be dangerous, I have the same issue! Try not to worry, Im sure everything is just fine....:)
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 2:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Mine is also tilted back. My doc said everything is fine. Carried 2 healthy babies.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• it's not.
    But I would wonder why anyone with the letters NP, PA or MD after their name could not find a cervix.
    Get a new healthcare provider.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It's not dangerous at all. Mine is severely tilted, too. My gyno has had to get on his knees to do a Pap smear! He usually puts me in a special exam room with a table that raises up so he can be more comfortable doing the exam. Don't worry about it. I have also had two healthy babies. It's just the way we are built.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 2:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• @jewjewbee her doctors fingers may be short. I know when I was in the hospital about to give birth to my doctor, my nurse could not tell how far I dilated because she had short hands(it was quite painful when she checked because she was trying so hard) She eventually had to call my doctor to come check me. @ inlovingagain my doc does the same thing!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• you don't need fingers to do a pap smear. Pap smears are collected with instruments that are sometimes 8-10 inches long.
    Pelvic exams are done manually with the practioners hands. If she has " short fingers" she should stop scheduling these types of exams only to find out she cannot do them when the patient is prepped and scheduled and there for the appointment.
    Let me say it again, if your practioner cannot find your cervix, find a new provider.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Mine is tilted the same but no problems with anything and also had three kids.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Not dangerous at all. My ob/gyn and I joke about it the whole time. I'm lucky she has skinny hands and long fingers. I'm tilted and off to the side. Quite a possibility of why I don't dilate? hmmm interesting thought
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 3:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It shouldn't be anything to worry about
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 9:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I am sure you will be ok !
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 3:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011