Who recommends that children should not watch TV until what age and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well. I have always been anti television at any age, even adults. Rarely do I watch TV, and rarely do the kids watch TV.
    I just cannot imagine sitting on the couch for hours doing nothing. Maybe it's my ADHD, who knows-to me it's a waste of time and I think we are just too busy for it. The TV for weather and news when something happens, or for snow days or sick days and that's about it. I can remember reading somewhere that TV relaxes adults and helps them to fall asleep but it's just the opposite for children. TV will actually stimulate them and increase brain activity, no thanks- a 7 yr old is stimulated enough throughout the day.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

•  A study from child experts at the Université de Montréal, the Sainte-Justine University Hospital Research Center and the University of Michigan, published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, has found that television exposure at age two forecasts negative consequences for kids, ranging from poor school adjustment to unhealthy habits.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100503161229.htm

American Academy of Pediatrics

http://www.aap.org/sections/media/toddlerstv.htm

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• don't really care. i let my 8 month old watch nick jr(the nick jr channel that's commercial free) because she absorbs everything she sees at this age and nick jr educates children. she doesn't watch it all day but she enjoys certain shows like blues clues and yo gabba gabba
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The people who study the effects of TV and the impact it has on kids, don't know who they are though
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My kids. My choice. I let my kids watch those Baby Einstein DVD's as young as 6-8 months old. The colors and music fascinated them. Now they're 4 and 7.5. The 4 year old gets to watch Sesame Street, PBS preschool shows (dinosaur train, word world, clifford) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny and pokemon (thanks to her brother). The 7.5 year old doesn't get to watch much now that he's in school. He gets to watch pokemon when it's on, and *shudder* cartoon network when he's home sick and his sister has a morning activity.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011