Just curious, would you allow this?

I would allow my kids to drink in my home with a friend or two if they were responsible and under my supervision. I would make the friends parents sign a statement giving permission with me supervising the kids. I would aslo make sure that the kids' car keys were locked up so that no one would be able to drive drunk. Would you allow this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• My mom and dad allowed me to drink when I was 16. The rule was simple: never leave the house, never attempt to drive and never tell a soul. My best friend's dad was the same way so my friend and I were allowed to drink whenever we did sleepover's at each other's houses. We never partied it up, never drove. We're both 30 now and we hardly drink. Even when we became 21, it wasn't a big deal because it wasn't taboo in our homes. But the friends whose parents barred it entirely are now 29, 30 yrs old and still partying it up like they're kids (while their families suffer at home).
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• yes simply becuz i would prefer my child to be around me verses hiding out drinking and god only knows what could happen then. I dont know what state you live in but here where i live its legal for your child to drink in your own home. My mother had the same rule while i was growing up and i think its becuz of that, that i didnt go out drinking as a teenager i didnt feel like i had to hide it.
    Anonymous

• I have a 1 year old so I havent had to make these decisions yet, but I dont think so. I might let my child have a sip or two of my drink or maybe 1 beer depending on how old they were, but I would not under any circumstances give alcohol to anyone elses kids. And make them sign a statement is just proof that you are giving alcohol to a minor. In Texas your child can drink when they are with you but your not allowed to give it to other kids. I dont know the laws in your state though
    Anonymous

• NO! I had a friend whose parents did let us drink at their house, mom took the keys on the way in and when my son was younger I used to think that I would too, but as he has gotten to be a teen there is no freakin way. Also here it is illegal to serve minors in your home but still there have been a bunch of kids getting drunk under "supervision" and driving anyway. Lets say you take all the keys, and then have to go to the bathroom, you trust the kids and don't take all the keys to the bathroom, 1 kid decides he is leaving and dies on the way home, then what?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• No I wouldn't. And I definitely wouldn't allow other people's kids to drink in your home. Even with a signed piece of paper from the parents you are still liable for what happens when you serve alcohol to underage kids in your home. This is just asking for trouble.

Anonymous

• NO!! I wouldn't trust anyone that would let their kids drink at home!
    Anonymous

• No because if it's found out YOU will be charged with contributing to deliquency of minors...bad move.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• No because waiver or not its still against the law and you could go to jail. And over what>? A couple beers and trying to be the cool mom? It wont be that cool in jail.
    Anonymous

• I would not allow the friends, w/ or w/o permission. I would do what my parents did for me: I could drink at home, on a Friday or Saturday night only, 1 drink, only if I was not going anywhere, and only if I kept my grades at a B or above. No friends were allowed to be over or come over after I had the drink.
    I never felt the need to go out with my friends and get drunk. Of course, in total honesty, I'm not much of a drinker now, either.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Maybe my own but not somebody elses kid
    Anonymous