My 7 year old will not stop touching himself

He has add. I thought two months ago that this was just another one of his little ticks. It has gotten much worse. He touches himself all the time. Everywhere. Hands down his pants constantly. At first he said that his penis touched him down there. That really bothered him. He was always moving it. Now he says it's itchy. I have tried....changing under ware, boxers, briefs, none, gasoline, baby powder, ignoring it, yelling, rewards to not do it. I need help. He now is getting teased in school. First grade.

Malis1

Asked by Malis1 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did you say gasoline???? WHAAAT??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'd get him 2 very cool watches, one for each wrist. Something else/new to pick at. An attempt at redirection. And I'd buy a pile of overalls and/or long underwear.... anything to make it more difficult during the day and encourage exploration in private
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Have you had the conversation with him about that being for when hes alone in his room or bathroom? If he has a place where its OK, it may help. Otherwise I agree with getting him a new distraction.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 2:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• absolutely ask your Dr. for advice.
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 2:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think she ment vasoline, my son has the same issue as he is always grabbing himself, would like to know something that helps also BUMP
    roseym

Answer by roseym at 2:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Make him wash his hands every time he takes them out of his pants.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• no advice but I'm curious to see what others say. My 6 yo does this sometimes as well.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Did you say gasoline? What exactly do you do with gasoline? Any way, have you talked to his doctor? I would have him checked to see if there is something truly bothering him. If there is not, maybe the doctor can give you some pointers on how to handle it. I can tell you that my son would always stop doing things once the kids started picking on him. Good luck to you, I hope you are able to come up with something to help him.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My son also, but we've discussed this (over and over -- it's just not a one-time conversation) that this must be a private activity for the bedroom or bathroom only, and (please, oh please) wash your hands afterward.

I agree with a dr. visit to rule out any medical reasons, but remember that it just plain feels good to them. And if something feels good, it's something they (well, anyone) will want to do. They just have to be taught time and place. That's hard for a little boy. It's especially hard for a little boy with ADD.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011