Fibromyalgia

What do you first think when someone says they have this?

I was diagnosed with this last Wednesday, but I kind of feel like my Dr didn't know what to call my problem, so she lumped me in with fibromyalgics. I have some symptoms associated with it, but also have others not listed.

Since there are so many variations of symptoms and the medications they can use to treat the symptoms only work for 50% of people with this diagnosis, how do I know for sure its what I've got?

As well, how do I get to the root of the problem? I don't want to treat the symptoms, I want to treat the condition! Help!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 2:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• It's an interesting diagnosis, as you know, based on symptoms, as there are no tests that can be done to get to the diagnosis. You must have fit the criteria.

If you are interested in any experimental tx, do a search on treatment of fibromyalgia with guaifenesen (Mucinex). It sounds funny, but I have a friend with fibro doing a tx with Mucinex, and her symptoms are almost completely gone. It does much more to the body than it''s original "cold" intention.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My dh has it he is in so much pain we finaly found a doc that would help and he was off work for a year because of it he has to take powerful meds for it and it don't help him much at all it just barely takes the edge off but now that he has meds he is able to work. I hope things go good for you GL
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 2:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• it's an awkward place to be.... most true cases have actually had it since childhood but had no idea.

Like me I didn't know til I got married that it was OK to touch people.... my husband would not hyperventilate from pain if I touched him too hard in the wrong places. I was on only child w/ few friends so I just ASSUMED everyone had painful areas

It's really a connecting the dots type thing..... for me it includes belly issues, easy bruising, and stuff like that

good luck, get lots of dr opinions and careful telling people, they can be judgey since fibro is now a buzzword
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well...that's the thing. It isn't a condition or a disease, it's a collection of symptoms that a lot of people have in common.

It's like colic in a baby...there isn't an illness or a disease that can be treated, you just have to keep trying things until you find something that works.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Funny you mention that, my mil was also dx with it, and they ran a viral panel on her, treated her for CMV, and now her symptoms are almost non-existent. But she's been travelling twice a week back and forth from OKC from Dallas...
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I am a diagnosed fibro patient... I have had more tests than a caner patient (my little cousin had cancer) Every disease that fibro mimics has been ruled out, I have tried medication after medication, been to a pain management group, and ever since the diagnosis there are more medical problems coming out.... Fibro is a disorder that most often happens to you after an illness or trauma...It's not just wide spread pain, the list of symptoms go on and on, some people hurt so bad they want to die, some hurt but have more mental symptoms...The best advice I can give you is do your research, go to the specialists you need to go too, and research any and everything you can about pain management....There are days that I wake up and think, by Goddess they misdiagnosed me....but I know what I have, feel free to email me if you want too...Good Luck, it's a very long and hard road.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Actually- upsherises, you may want to inform yourself of the classification of Fibromyalgia :) I'll let you do that though, rather than telling you, you're wrong.

Unfortunately, it is a hard diagnoses to come to- and some physicians call it that when, in fact, they've not exhausted the other possibilities... Which are numerous.

I'd be cautious when speaking about it to others, since it is viewed as psychological not physiological by most people- However, if they lived with what I do, they would learn otherwise very quickly.

If you doubt the diagnoses, get another opinion- have some more labs run, figure it out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My 16 year old was dx two years ago. @ the clevland clinic. No other dr. Could tell us what was wrong, they would say she needs More sleep?? Lol she saw a rheumatologist, & they did a bunch of blood work. They found that she had a positive Ana, her CPk levels where high. So with that, & her symptoms, she has juvenile fibromyalgia
    Heartshape

Answer by Heartshape at 3:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think fibromyalga is diagnosed frequently when there are no other answers. I am a massage therapist that has treated this diagnosis a lot. Massage therapy is a big help to manage the pain. If you are open to alternative therapies like accupuncture, chiropractic, and massage it can be life changeing. Also look at diet. Some foods can increase inflamation. Try supliments that decrease inflamation if you are open to it. I've seen these things work but know that it's part expierimentation... Also give yoga a try to open up the body :)
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would get a second opinion because I had a friend whos doctor told her she had Fibromyalga and she ended up finding out something worse later because the dr was too lazy to really check her out. I think this diagnosis is abused a lot by doctors who are too lazy to do their job correctly.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 3:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011