Are you searching for the true meaning of Christmas?

Please read & comment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Many symbols and motifs associated with the modern holiday of Christmas derive from traditional pagan northern European Yule celebrations. The burning of the Yule log, the decorating of Yule trees, the eating of ham, the hanging of boughs, holly, mistletoe and others are all historically practices associated with Yule. When the Christianization of the Germanic peoples began, missionaries found it convenient to provide a Christian reinterpretation of popular pagan holidays such as Yule and allow the celebrations themselves to go on largely unchanged, versus trying to confront and suppress them...

Halloween and aspects of Easter celebrations are likewise assimilated from northern European pagan festivals...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think people are judgemental in regards to religion is because they need to feel connected and special, so they think by causing a division, an us against them mentality, is going to make them happy , they are looking for a reason to love themselves, and are looking in the wrong place. G-d, love, bliss, happiness , is within, not within duality. To love yourself truly is to have no choice but to love everyone in the universe. Such a sad human condition, maybe that's our purpose, to find the love within us first, then share with others.....however, there is no you or me, we are one :)

(ooo feeling so spiritual today lol :)

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Very informative , thank you, but for me as a Christian, that is not the meaning of Christmas. For me it is the commemoration of the birth of The Savior. I do understand your point of the "manipulation" of Pagan ceremonies and symbols for the furthering of the Christian faith. Thanks again for an informative post.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Dec 25 th the return ( or promise ) of the son

Solstice Dec 21st the return (or promise) of the sun

:) Similarities are quite beautiful, don't you agree :)

Blessed holidays to all who celebrate in this month.

Namaste'

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 1:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I do agree it is beautiful, that's why I don't understand why some are so judgmental of others practices... it seems to be the same, just with different interoperations, not even different symbolism.
    Anonymous

• Very true. I absolutely understand the sort of bitterness with Pagans over the Christians sort of downplaying their traditions and making them their own. It's unfortunate that a political objective 2,000 years ago has become something of continuous debate. That's why I have sort of learned how the two can certainly be put together and could actually become a VERY powerful spiritual belief system. I have learned that I believe in many, many Pagan based ideas and completely embrace them into my "Christian" upbringing.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• AMEN FishingMama!!! That was beautiful!

you rock

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I celebrate Christmas, not as a christian, because I am not. I know Jesus was not really born on Dec. 25th. But who cares. To me it's a time to celebrate time with my family and friends. Bringing that love together.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2008