If your kid is the bully, what do you do?

What are some tips and/or activities for me to work with my child and the child/family of the one my child bullies...?

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 3:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• no idea, but i'm interested in the answers too because recently my SS has been getting in trouble for picking on the same boy at school
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Find some community service opportunities. Lack of emapthy is one reason people bully others. Exposing your child to situations, like working at a soup kitchen, where they have the opportunity to see how thier behavior can positively impact people will help develop empathy.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I was bullied alot in school, it wasnt fun, but by 7th grade they stopped bullying and everyone started to like me because I stood up for myself.

But you need to talk to them about how serious this is because kids that are bullied too much could bring guns or whatever to school and hurt or kill them. Tell them that too because I don't think they want their life to end because they picked on someone...Hope I helped!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'd tell him or her that what comes around goes around and some day they're going to pick on the wrong person and get an a$$ kicking. Show them that video that was popular not too long ago with the kid who fought back and body slammed a kid who'd been picking on him. Also if he/she picks on someone, and they go psycho they could really end up hurting him/her especially if they bring a weapon to fight back with.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Have your child appologize to the other child and to the family in person. That would be the first step. It is forcing your child to take ownership of his/her actions. Also I would try to find out why the child thought it was ok to bully in a loving way. Are other kids doing it? Is it to fit in? Is your kiddo being bullied? But point out violence is not acceptable in any way... Physicaly or verbaly. Discuss how bullying hurts. Your child has thoughts and feelings just like the kid being bullied. If there is anger and frustration in your child find an outlet... If behavior continues I'm a big believer in therapy.
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011