My toddler will only poop when I put his diaper on!

He turned 2 in December. We started the potty training process January by watching potty videos with him, reading books about going, and showing him how we do it. Then we took away diapers except for naps and bedtime in February. He's been doing great since day one with peeing in his potty, but has had issues with pooping. A couple times he's had accident on the floor, and ONCE a few weeks ago he went in his potty which we made sure he knew he was a really good boy for.

Now he'll literally hold it ALL day until nighttime when we put a diaper on him. I can tell he has to go during his normal time in the morning after we give him some juice. I'll remind him that it's very good to go poop in the potty and before his nap will even sit with him while he's on the potty to read books with him and remind him to go if he has to. I'll watch him literally stop walking and try to stop himself from going. We've all made sure he knows it's a good thing to poop in the potty and he knows he'll get candy and praise when he does it, but he just seems so embarrassed about it. :[ I can tell he's hurting his tummy doing this and it can't be good for his butt. When he finally goes it's obvious that it had to have been painful. Any advice?

ours

Asked by ours at 3:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's only 2, right?
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 3:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Sorry didn't read entire post my baby is trying to escape his enclosure..lol (play gate) I used "Poopy candy" with my son,, they are the little chocolates you buy on valentines day for kids,, like sponge bob etc... some are filled some not, anyway, we chose those because they were an "extra special" treat for when he went poopy on the potty. He never got them any other time. It worked GREAT he is 5 now and still calls them poopy candy..lol Good luck, don't rush him.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• When you see him straining to hold it in, can you grab him and put him on the potty? If you could just catch him once, he would see it's no big deal. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• if he seems embarrassed about it, you should put him on the potty.. then leave the bathroom until he's done. i did that with my son, and i told him he could turn the bathroom fan on himself when he's done. keep in mind that my son was almost 3 1/2 though... we had some trouble potty training him... lol. good luck!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 4:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011