Is there a min amount of calories you need to consume to loose weight?

We have a pretty high tech scale that tells you your weight, bmi, hydration level and then you can set a goal weight and it will tell you how many calories to consume in one day to eat and how many weeks it will take for you to get to your goal weight. Well I am 160 lbs now, have lost 7 lbs in 4 weeks, with a bmi of 28 and it says I should be eating 1800 and some calories a day! I only eat around 1100 day

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• I don't think so.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and you either don't lose weight or lose water weight and muscle tone. Usually doctors say that 1600 calories per day is a good minimum. But check with your doctor because that could be different depending on your metabolism.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would look it up online, I know there is bc you need to eat a certain amount in order to get your body working properly and burn off. If you take in more than you expel than it doesn't work well. But at the same time you also start to develop muscle past a certain stage. it all depends on how much you work on losing weight and what not.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 3:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• There's an equation. Based on your height & energy level there's a certain amount to maintain a certain weight. Usually subtract 100-300 calories from that to lose weight. The calculators can be found under "weight loss calculator" in your search engine.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• http://forumhealthcare.org/how-many-calories-are-required-to-prevent-starvation-mode-t26998.html

Is it telling you to eat 1800 calories to maintain your current weight or that 1800 is what you need to lose weight? There are also other factors, such as whether or not you are exercising for example.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If you eat too few calories you will end up losing muscle. Also if you eat way too little your body will actually store it because it doesn't think you are getting enough. Check out spark people.com it takes your goals and what you do and your size and calculates how much calories, fat protein and carbs you should be getting and then you can adjust it also.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My doc says if you go below 1200 calories/day, you are not getting enough nutrients. And pp was correct, your body goes into starvation mode. But optimal weight loss is 1-2 lb./week, so sounds like you're doing ok.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011