Reusable sanitary pads?

I've seen these before and they seem to be getting more and more popular. I want to know what you do when your in public and need to change them out. I know they have little fabric bags to place them in until you get home, but does that disguise the smell?  Do you ever leak through?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 3:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Health

• Renee- I haven't personally, but I have 3 good friends who do (it's catching- kinda like cloth diapers. lol)... L carries a ziploc with her for the spent one until she gets home.

Another option you should look into is a Menstrual Cup (I use the Diva Cup). It can be worn up to 3x longer than a tampon, and does not carry the risk to TSS- it is comfortable, leak free, easy to use, and you only need one :) I was always an OB woman, I hate pads, I always get a rash from the moisture. After I tried the Diva Cup, I could NEVER go back!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That just does not sound right. No way would buy those, I would much rather throw my used one away and put on a fresh new one. That is just my opinion.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 3:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• why not just use a Diva Cup instead?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Where did you find those? They're awesome!

It's just like using a wet bag for cloth diapers.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It's kind of gross. I couldn't do it. But I don't wear pads. They gross me out. Just tampons here.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Oh, you also don't get "Tampon Backup" from using the cup. And if you know when you are expecting your cycle, you can insert it that morning and check it later in the day to see if you've started, and not worry about unexpected mishaps!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• last thing... if you order it from Amazon, it qualifies for free shipping, and will only take a couple days to get here... lol I'm totally trying to sell you on the idea, it made my life so much easier around that time of the month!
    Now I never have to worry about running out of anything, or getting caught off guard.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thanks! I think I might go with ones from the Etsy seller you linked to.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I would probably have a few regular pads or tampons on hand for when I was going to be out of the house long enough to need to change them, so I could wear one out, and then throw it away, and put on one of the reusables until I was home. A pack of pads would last forever that way for me.

I suppose you could also take a couple plastic baggies to put the cloth bag in? Not eco friendly, but purse smell friendly :)
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Unless you have *extremely light* periods, it is impossible NOT to come in contact with blood.

Yes, you dump it in the toilet, when you are in a public restroom you wash your hands before you remove it (or use a shitton of hand sanitizer) empty it, wipe it with tissue, and replace. Once practiced, you can do this without getting it on yourself- something I could not accomplish with a tampon or pad.

If it is in properly, you do not feel it. If you do, you move it, simple as that. It isn't at all uncomfortable. No, it does not slip out- unlike the super slim line tampons if they become saturated. it uses your vaginal wall muscles to hold it in place.
    Crafty, you can "Think" all you want- until you use it, it is unfounded babble ;)

It's a beautiful concept- Tampax actually began making these in the 30's, until they discovered they would turn a larger profit with disposables.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011