Is it tacky to throw your own baby shower?

I know that none of my family will throw me one. I have one friend, but not sure if she will help or not because my family doesn't like her. Even if she did help me I don't want to ask her to buy stuff for it. So I don't know what to do on this, but I have nothing for a baby. I am 21 weeks pregnant so I have a little time, but I have nothing at all not even clothes. I am not sure I can afford the start up of everything on my own unless I have a shower. If I do have a shower when do you have one? Also when do you register for a shower?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't think it's a bad idea to throw your own shower. It's a celebration after all, and it's not written in stone that another person must be the one to put together the party for you. Put together a list of things you need and register on like Target, Walmart, and Baby's -r-us websites. Make inexpensive appetizers and finger foods and think up some fun games that won't put a dent in your wallet. I think you can throw your own shower and have a good experience doing so. Don't invite people who you know won't get along.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I couldn't but good for you I'd say when your tummy is showing do it! get some snacks & drinks & go for it.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i do not think it is tacky but i do think it is rude for your fam not to throw u one But CONGRATS MOMMY!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Go for it! I didnt throw my own w/ the first, but no one did one for the 2nd and I wish I threw my own for her! It might be tacky but hey if its gonna help you out then do it!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Ha! I'm new to this. Just throw it! If you have people to invite, you have people to help you. A baby shower is an experience all mothers should have. I'm just shocked by some answers. If your guests ask, you put it together w lots of help from loved ones. Don't bring it up otherwise.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 4:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That's a tough call. IMHO you shouldn't have to throw your own shower but sadly people get caught up in their own lives and don't think to do for others. It's not all about the gifts but a celebration of your little bundle of joy. Talk to your family about how you feel and see if that sparks some flame to throw one. It's a special time and you should have a special day. Pregnancy is hard and it's easy to feel alone and isolated so share how you feel. You still have time don't fret
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, I can say that it really sucks for no one to give you a shower. I know because no one gave me one & I bought EVERYTHING myself. I am pregnant again and am having a girl (I have a boy) & I expect to NOT get a shower again. So, I am trying to sell as much of my Son's toys, old clothes & blankets etc. on ebay so I can buy the things I need for my baby girl. I know how you feel. So what I did with my Son is just buy what I absolutely needed and then bought sale clothing at the end of each season for the next year. People say give a welcome home party for the baby after the baby is born. So that means that I have to pay for everyones entertainment & food & get crappy gifts that they didn't want to give in the first place. BS
    Anonymous

• Improper etiquette. If you dont have friends well sorry too bad. That's who throws it for you. That or family. If you dont have friends then WHO are you inviting? Strangers lol?
    Anonymous

• noooo it would be family just my family wont throw me one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• It is EXTREMELY tacky to throw/host your own shower, regardless of if anyone's throwing you one or not. I had 5 kids and was given 1 shower with the 2nd by ladies in our church.
    Anonymous