Umblical cord question...

okay my little girls cord just fell off and her belly button is alittle pussy where it just fell off.....how do i clean it and with what? or give her a bath and just soap and water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• i would do a sponge bath for now. my DD did this when hers fell off i just used alcohol dipped with q tip and gently cleaned the area. if still that way monday i would call the dr
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 2:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• alcohol works.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We always used alcohol and q-tips. You can dig in there to get the pus out. It really shouldn't hurt them. If you don't get it cleaned out the right way it could get infected and heal weird.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I would only do a sponge bath until it's healed. my son's did the same and even had a little blood but the nurse said just clean it with an alcohol and q-tip. It's healed perfectly fine. If the cord was knocked off or only part came off it probably has pus in the area that happened and it hasn't completely fallen off and healed.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2008