Balancing checkbooks....

How many of you balance you checkbooks daily? Or as often as you make purchases? How many of you rely on calling customer service or using online banking to get your balances?

I'm just curious! I work at a bank and some of the things people call for completely dumbfounds me at times. LOL

CollinsMommy729

Asked by CollinsMommy729 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I balance our accounts every few days online. Isn't it amazing how few people really know how to manage their accounts? I worked at a bank for three years and I had several customers come in just to have me balance them. I think they should start teaching that in 9th or 10th grade.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Daily??? You have to be kidding. I balance the check book once a month. I keep a running total as I write checks, if that is what you meant. But I don't go to the trouble of finding out which ones have cleared online very often at all. When I check the online it is to see if the direct deposit went in or if I have to nag somebody to pay my invoice.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We use BofA on-line banking and balance everything there. I used to keep a running checkbook tally but since my hubby took over the finances he simply uses the on-line banking.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i go online or do the math in my head!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I use Mint.com to keep track of everything. I don't remember the last time I actually wrote a check, though.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My husband and I are guilty of not balancing daily, but we stick to a well-thought-out budget and all of our "mad money" we keep in the form of cash in order to avoid overspending too much. Once a month we look at our statement and compare it to our household budget and make adjustments as needed to our household budget. Being very responsible with our budget means we've never had an issue with being overdrawn, etc. but I understand that we probably should keep a closer eye on our bank account daily/weekly just to avoid other kinds of problems.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Could be wrong on this- but I think technically balancing your check book is the name for putting your transactions into the register. And reconciling the check book is where you see if what you have in your register matches the bank statement.

So using those definitions- no I don't balance my checkbook after every transaction but it gets in within 3 days. And yes I do reconcile my checkbook every month. Saves a ton in insufficient fees.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Are the calls from a lot of seniors? My mom's friends had a lot of trouble taking care of their checkbooks. But to answer...... I keep it up to date with every transaction.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I balance my account at least once a week.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My checkbook is updated and balanced every minute of every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2011