How can I keep my bra wires from poking out!

I ALWAYS have this problem with my bras with underwires. I buy them and (i don't wear them everyday) after a month or two the wires start poking out at me on the outer parts of the cups. Do I just have the wrong size or am I doing something wrong? It's getting tiring buying new bras all the time

punkomama08

Asked by punkomama08 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• it could be all of the above. wrong size, cheap material/bra, mishandling/laundering. you should find a place that does fittings. if its a department store, they probably have only select people trained to do this..not any old salesperson may do it properly.
    wash in cold water, preferably in a mesh bag-so they aren't 'run through the ringer' in the cycles, then hang them to dry. never put bras in the dryer. (this is why its a good idea to have more than a few. :) )
    if the bra-band is too tight, you are stretching the material and practically giving it an opportunity to allow puncture by the wire. once that's been done, the fat lady has sung her song.
    why women buy underwire bras, only to remove the wire on purpose, i'll never know. they aren't made the same, the contruction is different. if you don't like the underwire, don't buy those. trust me, you'll look and feel better if you buy proper fitter/type of bras.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have the same problem. I ended up going to victoria secret and having them measure me. I bought a couple of bras from them that fit well and are wearing well too, I've had them over a year now without any wires popping out on me or snapping in half.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• how are they being washed sometimes being thrown in the washer machine can make them wear out more.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I make sure that I don't put my bra in the dryer after I wash it - that has extended the life of my bras
    smiles551

Answer by smiles551 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Wrong size and not very good quality bras.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That happens to me too and I'm not sure why. My solution is to just rip that wire out (leaving the other in...LOL) and if it doesn't look bad, I'll keep wearing it. If it does, I'll just wear it as an "only at home" bra.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• So if it's the wrong size how do I figure out the right size? I have asked the ladies that work at Herbergers and JCPennys for help but they just look at me like I'm stupid
    punkomama08

Comment by punkomama08 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I take the stupid things out as soon as I get home. I hate them but it seems that all the pretty bras have them.

"only at home" bra? You mean you wear one AT HOME??

surprise mini

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• *properly fitted*..sorry.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I tried undewired bras a couple times---hated them. I just yanked out the wire. Now I refuse to buy underwires.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 12:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2011