Proper "names" for private parts...do you find them taboo for children to use? adult content

I teach my kids to refer to their private parts as such or to use the proper names, penis and vagina. I do not like pet names for them. When I was a kid my brothers always talked about their "weenies" and I thought it silly. I feel that because my kids use the proper words they are more likely to discuss any issues they may have more freely with me and it takes the embarrassment and silliness factors out. I also think that it makes them a bit more modest.

Minimelda

Asked by Minimelda at 4:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• And I'll add that (in my opinion), people that find it embarrassing to hear kids use correct anatomical terms strike me as not very secure about their own bodies. My impression is that they don't teach their kids the correct anatomy either because they don't know it or because they are embarrassed, themselves. It's sad to me that the embarrassment/lack of education is just passed along.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I hate pet names for body parts. My boys know what their penises are.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well my children are very young and cant say penis or vagina. So we call my sons penis a pee pee. When my daughter ask, SHh is only 3 and cant really talk to we found the easiest word for her to say. I don't see why it bothers you so much to have what you call pet names. I see nothing wrong with them. How is saying pee pee more embarrassing then penis? I think if my young child said either out loud in public it would be embarrassing.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My children know the proper names but both say 'private'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My kids actually think penis and vagina sound really disgusting.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree that proper terms should be used! There is nothing embarassing about them.
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My kids have always learned the proper name for everything. For one thing, I just believe it's something they should know, and for another, I think it encourages openness, if something ever went wrong. It also really bothers me that there are girls my daughter's age who think a vulva is a type of car. I think that in order to teach kids (girls especially) how to care for and respect their bodies, they have to have a decent understanding of the equipment first.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• GO YOU!!!!! I am so happy to see someone else with my view. My son can't talk yet WILL know the proper names for his penis and testicles and such, and I will always call them by their proper name. If he chooses to say "weiner" or "winky" or anything, he is more then welcome to. But he WILL know the real names. They are NOT bad words at all. They are scientific and real. Nothing more.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Hmmm, I can appreciate you reasoning, but would find it odd to hear a 2 or 3 -year-old say, "Mommy, come wipe my vagina."
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My kids know the name of their anatomy. Sometimes they will use those names, but most times they just say "private area".
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011