Do you kiss your children on lips?

I do not. And here's why. Lots of people have the herpies virus even if you never have an outbreak. You do NOT have to have an outbreak to pass it along. I never use to have an outbreak until my mother forced me to kiss her one time. And I feel that you shouldn't force that kind of attention on any child. To this day I won't tell my mother I love her or show any affection because during my childhood she always forced it upon me.

So with DD and (DS when he's born) I only kiss cheeks and only if they want me to.

BTW, I am not judging and saying your a bad parent if you do kiss on lips. I'm just sharing my experience and view. And if you know you don't have herpies then all the better. But a lot do have it even if you never had an outbreak.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 4:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• i never kiss my kids on the lips. I just think that it would be wired for me to do so. I only kiss foreheads and cheeks. I do noseies though. '' You know when you run your nose on your kid nose'' and hugs lots of hugs.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yes & no.

When small I don't see a issues with it. That's how they learn.

Now, when bigger it's a kiss on the cheek.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I kiss my kids on the lips. My parents still kiss their kids on the lips, too. I think the fear of contagion is over-blown in America.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• With my youngest, yes. He's just a little snuggly love bug. But with my 9 and 14 yr olds I only kiss on the cheek.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I never kiss my children on the mouth either! But I kiss them a lot without their permission. I am going to get as many of them in as I can bc one day they wont let me anymore.
    MAMAPANCAMO

Answer by MAMAPANCAMO at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• everyday i do... i really see nothing wrong... but you do have a good point on why you wouldn't want to...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yes i do and I find your reason silly if you don't have herpes. You can get a blood test to see if you have it and I dont so I guess my kids all the time on the lips. Now if the person has a history of outbreaks I can see why they wouldn't kiss their children on the lips/
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I kiss lips and cheeks. Just depends. I don't think this makes me a bad parent either.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't have herpies and my son doesn't have herpies and we always kiss each other...yes on the lips. We are a very affectionate family and we love to give hugs and kisses.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I kiss my DD on the lips -- when I try to curve around and kiss her cheek, she guides my lips right back to her mouth! But hey, I'm not complaining!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011