All I can say is OMG!!! How does someone get to this point?

BELLAIRE,Ohio -- Community reaction has been intense to our story about the morbidly obese man who spent two years in his chair.

Everyone is asking, "how could this happen?"

A man whose skin had fused to his chair, with bedsores, maggots and excrement everywhere. The description from the first responders was horrifying.

Now the 43-year-old Bellaire man has died according to our radio news partner WKKX.

http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=96699

http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=96814

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Isolation & mental illness. A normal person doesn't sit in a chair and poop themselves for two years.

That is horribly sad.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Same way hoarders do - they're sick and everyone around them has given up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Every time I see a story similar to this, I always wonder about the first time they decided to not get up. I mean, one day, they had to have been sitting there and decide that this was the day they wouldn't get up to use the bathroom. I'm not sure what happens in a person's mind to cross over into that sort of thinking.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't know, but I think the people living with him should be brought up on some kind of charges. That is pathetic and disgusting.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My question is ... Why didn't the people living with him do something about it???

Was he getting disability checks?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I dont know I guess it just happens but I am sure there is a lot more to it then we will ever know
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 4:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My question is ... Why didn't the people living with him do something about it??? \

Was he getting disability checks?

***

BINGO!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i remember first/second-season of Nip/Tuck entertained this, also.

its weird..we see someone,say 250lbs and think, ''dang..how'd they let themselves go that far?''. i wager its the close to the same with those that are several hundred pounds heavier..it didn't happen overnight, they got used to those 30lbs, then the next 30lbs..it adds up. not to mention other factors involved.
    my question is WTH doesn't someone who 'loves' that person, hello! a freakin' family member even!, insist on doing something about it?? i realize you can't make a horse drink the water, but comefreakinon, people! disability-check or none.. if your loved one was about to jump over a cliff and you were there to keep them from it, you would! (you, in general, of course.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Where was his family? He can't take care of business like paying bills and buying food sitting in his chair. Someone had to be an enabler.
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 5:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I just don't see how this man and 2 years of waste could be contained in a chair or how the other people could stay in the same living space with the odor, something is amiss...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011