Your take on delayed cord clamping (and did you do it?) adult content

we're TTC #3 (one very traumatic emergency c section and one very traumatic planned c section) and I am determined next baby will exit from the same hole it's put into. Whether home or hospital birth I'm really desiring him/her to be placed on my chest asap and let the cord stop pulsing on its own.

Have you done this at home or hosp. and did you have to fight hard for it?

PS gonna put this in debate since it's semi controversial and has debate potential

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:32 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I have never even heard of this to have an opinion... I would have to read more on the subject. It sounds interesting.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I didnt even know about it until AFTER DS1 was born. We are expecting DS2 in August, and I am researching it now. Still not sure what I've decided.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 4:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It has it's benefits. We had an out of hospital birth with my last 2 pregnancies so didn't have to fight at all for it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I wasn't able to for my oldest. They cut the cord and whisked him away because he had meconium. I did with my second who was born at a freestanding birth center. If my oldest had been born in the birth center my midwife would have suctioned him out in my arms and not away from me. It would have been less traumatic for both of us (I didn't get to see or hold my son for almost 30 minutes after he was born and other than the meconium it was an uncomplicated vaginal delivery).

I hope you get your VBAC and the birth you want this time!!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 4:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Never heard of it. Gonna go look it up though i like the idea
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• okay I read few articles on the subject so I am by no means an expert on it but it seems the middle ground is to wait a min of 3-5 min. The articles I read make it sound harmless and beneficial to wait at least 1 full min but better to wait 3-5. One article said that it was better to wait until it stopped pulsing and skip the clamp and just cut. No ill effects were mentioned in any of the articles I read through. I don't understand how it would be an issue but I suppose it would be best to bring it p to your OB at the next visit. t least see where they stand on the issue and how you would go about making sure your wishes or at least a middle ground can be met.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I am seeing a group of midwives in a hospital. I asked about this and they said that that was their standard procedure there when it comes to vaginal births. You are the first one to hold your baby and you get to hold him/her for as long as you like before the nurses step in and measure and weigh and start tests. the midwives I am seeing are great advocates for this kind of thing.

They said the benefits are that there is less likelyhood the baby will develop jaundice or become anemic, it also gives them a bit of a boost of antibodies, and it helps the uterus recognize that the placenta needs to come out (faster delivery of the afterbirth). Just to name a few.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I tried. I fought my OB for it and had my birth plan with me, etc., and she ignored it. Just one of the hundreds of reasons I will never give birth in a hospital again.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I had a home birth, and the midwife waits until the chord stops pulsing to do anything.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 5:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it's a great idea, even though I wasn't able to do it. My oldest son's cord was hacked apart when he was born and they were trying to resuscitate him (it was tied in a perfect knot, wrapped around his neck and one foot). When my youngest son was born, we chose to use the cord blood for genetic testing so he wouldn't have to have all that blood drawn from his body.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011