Travel with cat

im going on a 11 hour drive moveing to another state how do i do this with my cat?

cielo1

Asked by cielo1 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Call your vet and ask for a sedative. I really think that is probably going to be easiest on your cat.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think you should make some mini practice drives..... my cat gets motion sickness so for US, a sedative would be required. See what kitty does on a few mini trips. Sleeps? howls? pees? vomits? go from there.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• We drove from Ohio to Florida. We put our cat in his travel crate and he was fine.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I drove from MN to CO with mine an 18 hour drive (thanks to weather). I kept her in her travel cage for the first few hours. I waited until she had stopped mowing and looked relaxed. I then opened the top and let her chose if she wanted out or not. Also did this so she would have access to her litter box.
    If I had room, I would have used my dog's travel cage and stuck her in there with her litter and everything.
    All in all, she did a pretty good job.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• cat cage
    miranda2011

Answer by miranda2011 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have moved a couple times, and all the times I moved it was atleast a 8-12 hour drive with my cat. I took her crate, and I took her liter box, and I went to the vet and got some medicine so she would stay calm and i just put her in the car with me, she used her liter box and sometimes went in her crate to sleep, but she loved to sit on my lap, and put her two front paws on the steering wheel and looked out the winow, it was so cute! So, I would just put your cat in the car with ya.Dont forget to have a bottle of water so that your cat wont get dehydrated.. I also had some of her food for her on the floor of the car. She slept most of the time though, from the medicine.
    urbuttacup88

Answer by urbuttacup88 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My cat did great when I just put him in the passenger seat. He ended up sleeping in my lap most the time but with a litterbox with newspaper in it on the floor in front of the seat, he was very happy and content. My cat doesn't like to leave my side so it worked out well. We traveled twenty hours.
    RayneStorm3

Answer by RayneStorm3 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I moved 2 cats in my car from Nebraska to Washington DC without sedatives. I really don't think they're necessary. Put the cat in a kennel in your car, bring a small bagged litter box that you cover and uncover as needed to use. Get a cat harness and on breaks try to let it move about with that on so that it's still safe. Most likely your cat won't eat, drink, or go to the bathroom much while on this trip, but it'll be okay.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 10:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Put pee pads and towel leash and collar crate. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011