• In the Spotlight:

How do you keep your house clean?

This question is for those of you who have your house cleaned all of the time. How do you do it? I have the hardest time keeping my house clean. I have 3 small kids that I think they just follow me when I'm cleaning and making it messy after I clean it. Than I have a husband that comes home from work and just puts his stuff where ever he fills like it. I get to the point that I pick up his stuff and put it on his side of the bed so he has to trip over it to go to bed and trip over it when he gets out of bed. I fell like he is old enough he can pick up after himself. The kids are way to young to pick up after themselves but I am teaching them to put their toys away.

momoftwins250

Asked by momoftwins250 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• @gemgem....I swear we have the exact same MIL...you better not be messing around with MY husband LOL {wink}
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Try to get them to keep the toy mess contained to their rooms...that way you can work on the rest of the house. My kids were in charge of helping from a really young age. They loved sweeping...you can find child sized brooms in th toys dept at most stores.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 4:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Get rid of the kids and the hubby. lol
    mothertrucker30

Answer by mothertrucker30 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Okay, so while we certainly do have our messy days (usually Saturday with DH is home lol) my house is usually clean and I keep it what I call 15-minute clean (which means that if someone calls me and says they're on their way over, I'll only need 15 mins to get the house guest-ready).
    I worked it out so that I certain chores on certain days. Monday- grocery shopping and deep cleaning the kitchen/fridge and collecting all the dirty clothes. Tuesday - dusting/ sweeping/start laundry. Wednesday - Mop/Vacuum downstairs. Thursday - Vacuum upstairs and wipe down ledges with a damp cloth. Friday - catch up on anything I missed through the week. Saturdays I take off and on Sunday I make our meal plan for the week so that I'm ready to the grocery store Monday morning to start the whole process over again. :)
    MrsCheddar

Answer by MrsCheddar at 5:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Lol I wish I could do that (mothertrucker30) but I just love them way to much. It's so funny my MIL said when he moved out the house go cleaner LOL
    momoftwins250

Comment by momoftwins250 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Lol...really funny what you do with your hubby lol...I don't know ANYBODY whose house is ALWAYS clean...not even my mother and she has a MAID!!! lol....With my 4 yr old I just make sure that when she's done playing with one toy she puts it away before she gets another one, I clean up during the day (SAHM) and then hubby comes home and wrecks it all lol...I clean up again before I go to bed at night so that it starts off clean in the morning but by no stretch of the imagination does my house stay clean all day lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My friend's house was ALWAYS clean. And they were always cleaning all the time. I remember I stopped by to drop off some Christmas gifts and she's like, "don't mind the mess." Her idea of a mess was a pile of unwrapped presents waiting to be put away. That was the only thing out of place. Not a speck of dust in the whole house. She only had 1 kid, though and it was her mother that was the neat freak that demanded the spotlessness. They cleaned every single day...the whole house (dusting, vacuuming, etc). They spend most of their time cleaning something all day long. Then again, they aren't there all day either since they all work or are in school.
    Me, I just don't care. I have 5 kids and a husband that refuses to clean up after himself. I only clean when and if I feel like it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I feel like all I really ever do is clean. I know I will go insane though if it gets too messy. I just can't handle mess or clutter, and it's so much easier to keep up than let it go and try to catch up.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My mil is that way too justanotherjen. She doesnt even come into my house because she thinks its dirty and always has to comment on toys on the ground or whatever. My house isnt a PIGS STY by any means, I just have kids so of course there will be some things out of place. I dont stress myself out anymore. I have 5 kids, 2 on their own now, 1 at his dads and the two at home are 17 & 6. The only one who makes any kind of a mess is my 6 yr old. My best advice is just to be patient, and know your limits. I think stressing out about a spotless house makes us miss out on small things anyway. Before you know it theyll be gone & then you will have a clean house and miss all the toys that once littered the ground lol. Trust me. I speak from exp.

Answer by gemgem at 5:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Seriously.. the less they are in the house the better..
    My dd stayed at my sister house for 2 nights.. seriously i cleaned after she left & didnt have to do anything for about 48hrs! It looked so nice.. She got home about 6hrs ago and as soon as she put her bag down, something happened & the houses needed a cleaning! HAHA (shes 4 btw!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2011