What to do about family?

What would you do if you felt that your family does more for one sibling than the other?
At the end of the school year last year I was in need of a babysitter, my DD got out of school early and I had no one to watch her. After school care was not open this day. I called my fathers' phone and the ex-wife(with whom he lives back with) answered the phone so I asked her if they could (mind you I did not grow up with my father) pick her up for me and watch her for about 3 1/2 hours while I was @ work. She went into this long rant about how it would be too much on my father to watch both my nephew (who was 7 at the time) and my daughter (who was almost 4), and that they only do it for my (half) sister because of her situation (she is divorced). This has been the only time I have ever asked them to do this.
I am married, but my husband works out of town a majority of the time.

momoftaterbug

Asked by momoftaterbug at 4:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• I think this needs to be addressed with your father alone. You need to find out his feelings about it. I am guessing what you got was his wifes feelings not his. I would want to talk to him to see what he thinks. Good luck :)
    ari22310

Answer by ari22310 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Good luck hope everything works out
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 4:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• That's really too bad. If I were you, I'd consider talking to my Dad about this.??
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i would call a close friend if they are having a problem with it... i never had to go through that and hope i don't.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I know mine does. My parents are raising my brothers daughter and bails him out of jail at lease 2-3 times a year, for my other brother he lives there rent free and is jobless and plays his games all the time and is almost 22. When I lived there I had to pay rent the very month I graduated high school. I have to beg them to watch y children for a couple og hours and now with my oldest brother they are pretty much paying everything to raise his child.
    I am in an abusive relationship and no where to go and my family refuses to help me. I swear most days I feel like they hate me and never wanted a girl. I am the only girl.
    Anonymous

• i would be sooo pissed off! i hope you worked everything out!! but i would have said something and then called a friend or if she had a little friend form school, i would call her/his mother if i have gotten close to her
    Rydersmom95

Answer by Rydersmom95 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Hey I've been there. I think maybe talk to your father about it straight forward, forget his ex-wife in this talk initally if you can. If not get any steps forward then there is not much you can do. Invest in finding out some kind of care in need for her. Talk to the school office, I'm sure many of them had give you names of people they suggest and other ideals. When I had temp custody of my grand kids I was shocked at all of the info they had for me. Don't dwell on the situation, it's not worth it when people are like that to you...and family does that alot to others for some reason. Good luck to you!
    EgleRose13

Answer by EgleRose13 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Talk to your father and ask why maybe he does not know?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• He knows about what happened, he just did not have much to say.
    momoftaterbug

Comment by momoftaterbug (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It happens - don't sweat the small stuff ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011