does anyone know if a 2 year old can catch shingles? my m-i-l just came down with it and were trying to make sure that he cant get it too. thanks for the help

nikkie3219

Asked by nikkie3219 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Health

• Is Shingles Contagious?
    Learn if you can catch chickenpox from a person with shingles.
    pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/05_shingles.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You cannot get shingles from someone with shingles. However, if someone who has not had chickenpox comes into contact with the fluid in the shingle blisters, they can sometimes get chickenpox. (Shingles is caused by kind of a reawakening of the chickenpox virus.) See http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/shingles/shingles.htm for more information.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 8:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• If I am remembering correctly, shingles comes through when your immune system is down and it stems from the lingering chicken pox virus that you would still have in your system (My brother had it when he was on chemo...they said that your immune system usually represses that virus, but it came through because the chemo destroys your immune system). Knowing this, it seems like if your baby hasn't had the chicken pox, they woudln't have that virus in their body to even have the shingles. I would definitely call your pediatrician just to ask.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Ahhh, those lovely things...I've got them right now! Has he ever had chicken pox...or the vaccine for it? If he's never had chicken pox and he's exposed to her than he can catch chicken pox. If he's had the vaccine, he can still catch them but it would most likely be a much milder case of them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• It's the same virus as Chicken pox. If your son has been vaccinated he PROBABLY won't get chicken pox. If he does get them, it should be a fairly mild case.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have never had shingles but I did have chicken pox when I was 6 and I pretty much gave the shingles to my poor mommy. She said those things hurt really bad
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 8:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• YES, YES, My son Had shingles last November I originally thought they were chicken pox even though he had been vaccinated. my children are 13&16, niether one of them ever had anything so that was my assumption. after tacking him to his pediatrician she explained what they were and that there happend to be an outbreak of shingles. she gave him a script for some cream (I forgot the name sorry)I had to rub it on him from head to toe and leave it on for 8 hours then wash it off. everyone in my household had to have a script for the medication and perform the same routine. we also had to wash all bedding and such. so yes it is VERY CONTAGIOUS. thankfully we didnt get shingles because my son had gotten them at his dads. but for precaution's sake we did the routine and so did his dads household. he is fine now. but if you still feel uncomfortable call your baby's peditrician.
    AuntieVetta

Answer by AuntieVetta at 11:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have to respond to the answer above. Shingles is NOT contagious. There is no such thing as a shingles outbreak. See either of the Web sites listed in the answers above for more information.

My husband had shingles this spring. At that time my daughter was younger than 1, and had not been vaccinated against chickenpox. Both my husband's doctor and my daughter's pediatrician said she wouldn't get chickenpox from him unless she came into contact with fluid from his blisters, and even then it wasn't very likely. My husband washed his hands all the time and we kept my daughter from touching his face (where his blisters were located), and my daughter was fine.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 11:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2008