What is the best age to start socializing your baby?

My son is 13 months old and we are concerned that he needs to be socialized soon as he is super clingy. I know that is normal at this age but I don't want him to be behind when he gets to preschool or even kindergarten.

ari22310

Asked by ari22310 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sooner rather than later definitely, but don't worry too much. every child is different. my first son didn't care where i was even as a baby, my second would freak even if my husband hugged me, and my third is very mommy oriented, but is very social and can easily be held by people he doesn't know as long as no one makes a big deal out of where i am
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 5:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Go to the local library's story hour and have some play dates with friends. Let him sit with you if he needs to if you have some play dates until he feels comfortable. He will get it soon enough. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Some do it as soon as 5-6 months..but i've been taking my baby to a mommy and me group since he was 1 month old.

I've heard tips of 13 month old kids..just don't push them, and keep doing play dates. Best of luck!
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:26 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• i say your sons at a good age to start . why not take him to a motehr and todder then he can play with other kids or well follow other kids and copy more likly at his age . but you still be there so he will feel safe he may not do anything the 1st wee or 2
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Every child is different. And until after the age 2 or 3 (cant remember but it can be researched) kids really dont play together. but play along side each other. I think its during the 3rd year they start playing together & can start grasping sharing & playing make-believe together... At a young age remember kids believe the world revolves around them.. its that simple.. if im playing with somethin-- ITS MINE! If im pretending something ITS MY IDEA & YOU CANNOT CHANGE IT! So socializing at a young age can be rough!
    Just get your kid around others - all ages. And only do what she is comfortable with.. If you push a shy kid onto others-- they may become EVEN MORE unsure of others (& there caregiver for taking them out of their comfort zone).
    They are young. Enjoy ur kid & make sure they enjoy their time.. Its a very small period in their life. :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• lol, my first daughter had a playmate from the day she was born.. her cousin who was born an hour and a half before her across the hall in the hospital. lol but yes i would get a playdate with her and another kid her age soon. play dates are great because it allows both baby and you to socialize :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2011