How do you explain Easter to a child that has never been taught about Jesus?

My 6 yo DD asked me why we celebrated Easter and I had to think about that one. I started talking about Jesus being resurrected from the dead and she said who is Jesus and what is resurrected. I was brought up Catholic and my husband was brought up in the Nazarene church. I didn't go to church every Sunday but my husband did and when my daughter asked that question I just realized we hadn't talked to her at all about religion and Jesus and I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• From the beginning. She will also experience Christmas and if you introduce Easter religiously its best to start from the beginning. Explain who he is, how he came to be, what he preached, how he died.

Answer by gemgem at 5:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Before really talking to her,you and your husband should agree on what you want to teach her.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with the first answer, you need to start from the beginning
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Go get a children s bible for little ones, that's what we did they have some great ones and its the best way for them to understand
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You could go to the store (Wal-Mart) and by her those little hardback books that they sell around Easter time. There is a good one I bought for my DD last year called.....The Story about Easter. It is good book
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with the others who said to go get a Christan Easter story book. =D
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Could get a childrens bible, story is easier to understand that way.

Or you could go the non-Christian route and explain its a time when spring has sprung and everyone celebrates that. Birds are chirping, leaves are growing, flowers are blooming,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with above ladies... Get a simple bible to read to your dd so she can start to under the story as a whole..
    Hardback books that explain Christmas & Easter are great.
    With Easter so soon its great to google some at home crafts so she can learn..and you may be able to find some cheap stuff at the store. or coloring books..

Christmas is easy to explain to kids -- its a birthday.... Easter is alot more complex. Some may not understand death & resurrection may confuse them a bit too (when grandpa passes they may be waiting for him to resurrect like Jesus!).
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Be very careful with this one. Most adults have a hard time dealing with this one. If a person is not "raised " in a church its hard to explain relighion except by having the biblle in front of them. Thats our blueprint.
    chantilly688

Answer by chantilly688 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with the others as well. I got mine an Easter book and a children's Bible.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011