Do your kids have fewer chores than you did growing up?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 5:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Absolutely. My mother was a lazy ass who never wanted to clean anything herself.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• oh yeah. my parents were the same as juliejacobkyle described and after they divorced i became the housewife taking care of all the chores, kids, and cooking for my dad because he got custody. i was devasted when he married my stepmom because i did not know how to let go of doing these things and i felt like i was the boss when she tried bossing me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my son has it sooo easy.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• oops, devastated..am i spelling that right?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yes, I had at least three chores each day in grade school and when I hit middle and high school it went up to no less than five each day. I never got allowance either, just a list of chores. My kids have one or two a day and they are in middle and high school and they get allowance.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My kids will have more..
    Until about the 7th grade I didnt have any chores besides (hah) keeping my room "clean"... Then even after that the only time I had anything responsible to do was during the summer. IF i was home i had to straighten up - vacuum, sweep, dishes, wipe off counters. simple stuff... I didnt start doing my own laundry until i was 16 when we moved into a house that i had my own bathroom & my mom had her own.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No. I didn't have any chores growing up. I was responsible for my own room and that was it but my parents never actually made me clean it. It was a disaster all the time. I didn't do any other chores around the house. My mom never even asked and I'm sorry she didn't. I'm a horrible housekeeper now. I did choose to do my own laundry starting at 14.
    My kids are responsible for cleaning up any messes they make in any room, cleaning their own bathroom, folding and putting away their own laundry, cleaning the counters/floors in the kitchen when they spill or make their own meals, help take out the trash, empty the dishwasher, help in the yard, etc. My older three are 10, 9 and 8 know how to do their own laundry and did it for a full year. My 5yo has all the same chores as the older kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Actually about the same. My kids kinda like chores. I do try to give them the ones they like. They all like to mop so that one starts a fight.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011