I need help with this one

i have a 6 yr old with adhd and we have a small inside dog my child refuses to stop picking on the dog so now the dog is starting to turn aggresive with him i have put him in time out i have told him that the dog is going to bite and i have even spanked his butt for it nothing and i mean nothing is working we have just recently put him on meds and he is in counceling any suggestions would be great

halo4

Asked by halo4 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• get rid of the dog

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• trust me i would but it not mine it is my live in bf and i got really pissed that he went out and got it cause i told him that we were going to have problems over it but at this time it not an option
    halo4

Comment by halo4 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Let the dog bite him once, see if he learns his learn then.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If it is a small dog, you may just want to monitor it. If you don't think it would violently attack your son, letting the dog bite him once may prove to him his bad behavior.
    bugmom112998

Answer by bugmom112998 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Do not leave them alone together. Get baby gates it you have to in order to block the dog off in different rooms or get a crate that the dog can go into if necessary. It's hard to change a dog once it becomes aggressive.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• yes it is a small dog and i havent gotten after her for it he has already been bitten once and it doesnt phase him the next step i guess is me moving out this has gotten to the point that i am depressed over it i feel like i talk to a brick wall with certain things when it comes to my bf i almost begged him not to get the dog three weeks priar to us getting her we had another dog get ran over and killed i tried to tell him my concerns with getting another dog since we already were having problems before with the first dog and my child
    halo4

Comment by halo4 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If the bf won't get rid of the dog, toss him out, too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• @pnukey lol seriously have thought about it but i would be the one moving cause it his house
    halo4

Comment by halo4 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• sounds like the bf is more of a problem than the son or the dog
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 7:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well first off I hate dogs, so my first thought is get rid of the dog too. But then what lesson is that teaching your son? Be mean to an animal and mom will just get rid of it. I'd rather teach my son respect of animals/people, not everything in life we dislike can be "gotten rid of." So after my initial "ugh, dogs" thought, I moved on to you need to be consistent. There needs to be 1 form of punishment, and it needs to be stuck to at all times. ADHD is not an excuse to be mean to animals (and I'm in NO WAY accusing you of letting your son use this as an excuse) I'm just saying the ADHD shouldn't even come into play. When my son hurts our dog in any way he immediately has to walk over and apologize to the dog, then tells me which privilege he's going to loose for the rest of the day. If I feel it's fair that's what sticks, if I think he's trying to dodge a bullet I pick the privilege. Either way, consistency is key.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 30, 2011