How many Cafe Mom's of Teens or Adult Kids feel that the Entitlement of this generation is over the top compared to when we were teens?

angryIt burns me to think back to when I was a teen (I'm over 50) and I can admit that my kid who is 20 would never gotten away with half the things he feels entitled to.  Back talking, cursing, staying out, etc.  He pushed me to tough love and kicking him out.   But with my mom, and dad, I would have never even thought of half of the actions kids do now a days?   Maybe cause Spanking, and Respect was expected and demanded, at home as well as in schools, are my thought?

csjoy1

Asked by csjoy1 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm 26...and I see children now that back talk their parents. I really think it's because parents want to be their kids friend.

My neighbors kid called her mom a bitch, right in front of me. Her child is 8...8 YEARS OLD!!! WTF, it took everything in me not to back hand her...8 or not.

I would have had to pick up my head off the ground if I done that.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, I'm in my early 30s so your generation is actually that of my parents, but I do have a teen daughter. My daughter would not dream of acting the way you are describing and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we did not abandon the need for spanking and demanding respect. Our kids were raised knowing there were not options to our rules, you followed them or you suffered the consequences. I think you hit the nail on the head with the reason why so many kids behave the way they do, but I feel that the blame lies with the parents who have allowed it to happen. Discipline needs to start early in life and be consistent.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think there is a certain sense of entitlement--but it's not one that comes naturally to children. It is something some children learn from their parents. The parents let the behavior go until it's too late and then they want to say that it's just the way kids are these days.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• MOMS....not Mom's.
    I don't know---my kids grew up in the 1980's and they could get a little sassy and wanted what they wanted. But we just didn't give in and didn't make a big deal about it.
    Teens have always been that way, testing their parents.I wouldn't worry about it. Just be in charge and don't give in. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My kids are respectful outside of the home, toward adults. The way they act toward me and m y hubby is a different story. But I wasn't an angel either, and I put my parents through h#@$. I'm not proud of it, but it's true. In my opinion, it's not just teens though, it's people my age (I'm 29) and even older. I see and hear so many people acting like everyone owes them something, or demanding respect, but refusing to give it. Blaming others for things. Trying to get any kind of attention that they can!! Take, take, take, but a lot less giving. It truly is so sad. A lot of kids do seem to get worse, w/ each generation though, and I see what you're saying. Parents work a lot more, and can't be there, or sometimes they are easier on their kids, sometimes they themselves aren't exactly role models. And it isn't just the parents, it's the environment, peers, etc.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 6:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Actually in the sense you're talking about, I was much more mouthy and disrespectful than my kids are. My kids (17) are really nice. Where the entitlement comes in is when they expect to have their educations paid for, expect not to have to pay rent once they're 18, expect to have their car insurance paid for etc. I'm sorry kids...get a job.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I really don't know - I don't have this problem. My kids are very respectful in and outside of my home. For me its all about communication, listening is key with kids. I feel this way because my parents never listened to anything or talked about anything. I also came from an abusive home so I was scared of them and very withdrawn, it had nothing to do with knowing better, I just didn't want to have to explain bruises or not be able to walk. As a teen I rebelled and was uncontrollable because I was tired of it. I felt entitled to respect, and if they weren't going to respect me as a person I wasn't going to respect them...so all hell broke loose.
    I don't want my children to fear me, I don't want them to feel that they can't talk to me . I always show them respect and they do the same with me and others. I really do think its on the parent and outside influence that parents need to be aware of and try to control.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have also witnessed children calling their parents obscene names and the parents just laughed. I wanted to spank the child! I have a 14 yr old still at home and I find I have to lay the law down for his friends. Ask before you TAKE from OUR refridge, remove shoes, if you are invited for dinner you are offered ONLY what is on the table. One child now regularly comes over and recently admitted it is because of the "rules" At home he is pretty much ignored :(
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Well, considering no matter how entitled one may feel, it will do no good. No one will just hand you something (anything) in the real world. Don't sweat it mom, this one will solve itself in the school of hard knocks.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It's a ME generation, and I agree that children need structure and discipline. Firm but fair is my policy.
    annc999

Answer by annc999 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011