When do you tell your kids that your husband no longer has a job?

My husband lost his job today. I don't want our oldest child to worry about it, he is 11. So when do we tell him ?

And how do we do it, so he doesn't worry too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• think you need to just be truefull eg dad lost his job he will get another one its just gona take a few week so we gona need to be careful with money but its not a big problem there no need to worrie
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:03 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If his needs are being met he most likely isn't going to worry unless he sees you worrying. You can tell him that his dad lost his job so until he finds another you may not have as many outings, go out to eat, etc, but there is nothing to worry about. At 11 he should understand that you can't do those extra things if you don't have a job.
    Anonymous

• you dont. kids shouldn't know about these things. it shouldn't be any concern to them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You tell him the truth and you tell him now. If you want him to trust you in the future you have to be honest now.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• And how do you think it is possible that he isn't going to notice his dad not going to work?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• You tell him that its not his problem. Your financial issues are not something the kids should concern themselves with

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with scout mom.
    trying to hide it may not doing any good anyway, he may hear it from someone else. My Dad never lost his job, but there were all kinds of things where my mom gave me a fabricated story, I was told the truth by someone else who told me my mom was lying to me.
    didn't feel good when it turned out they were right.
    just tell the truth, tell them that sometimes these things happen, and that Daddy will be looking for a new job. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of.
    How would you even hide it from them? I think they'd notice that he's not going to work anymore.

Anonymous

• Its a trust thing you want him to be open with you when he is older then I suggest being open with him as well. Just make sure to tell him not to worry and that you two will take care of it.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 6:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011