Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaving a job

If you have been at your job for 5 plus years and over the last 2 years have felt that it is not for you anymore. Now you have used some of your accured leave to take off (just a week). But you really do not want to go back.
Do you go ahead and contact your Supervisor and let her know you will not be returning or do you go back, put in your 2weeks leave and finish it out?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • You should put your 2 weeks notice in because you will need a reference and you have been there for a longtime.

    Answer by christinahenry at 6:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Go back, put in my 2 weeks, and finish it out. You're much more likely to get recommendations from previous employers that way, I think.

    Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Finish it out - you don't want to be known as a "quitter."

    Answer by tasches at 6:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Find a new job, then give you two weeks notice. You cannot collect unemployment compensation if you quit.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Perhaps you don't want unemployment, but not going back could burn bridges. Return for two weeks.

    Answer by Whimsee at 7:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • i would put in 2 wks notice so u dont get a bad reference.

    Answer by angelrach86 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Go back give notice, then work your two weeks.

    Answer by meooma at 8:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • Personally put your 2 weeks in and go through it. l had to quit because we had no gas money to get to work and we live 30 mins away.

    Answer by ja2010 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

  • common courtesy is give a proper 2 weeks notice. and alot of times the employer can say don't worry about it you can finish now. but its always good to give notice. whether you want to or not. business etiquette. in case you need a reference. not that they can give you a bad one its against the law.

    Answer by lucky35 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.