Eating trouble

My 3 year old son never was a big eater at all but he is not the pickiest eater either. He will eat Bananas, Apples, Yogurt, Carrots, Green peppers, Cucumbers, pickles, toast, Cereal, Bread either with Honey or butter, Grilled cheese, chicken, potatoes, egg noodles. He is getting used to trying new foods too.
But when he eats it takes him more than an hr to even finish anything. I used to set him on his Cars table in the living room but found it was making it worse. so every time he eats Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper he is eating at the kitchen table with us or depending on what he is eating by himself. I make supper around 4pm and we usually eat by 4:30pm and he will be eating at the table from 4:30pm to 5:30pm and barley touch anything or even have one thing gone. So i tell him fine he can be done, but when he is asking for a snack he will get his leftovers. He asks for a snack or Pediasure and begs for it, so i make him his left overs and still will not touch it.
and today he didn't eat his lunch at all, so i told him he is in timeout for 3mins and No snack. He did his time out and so when snack time comes i give his friend a snack and we read stories. My son goes my snack my snack, so i told him u don't get a snack because u didn't eat your lunch, so he got mad. So i then said if u want a snack u r getting left over supper from last night which he ends up getting again for supper because i made to much last night. He didn't eat that either. and it was off to nap on an empty stomach.
Now all he had so far is Oranges, and goldfish crackers, 1bite of left over supper, and 2bites of his lunch, and again left over supper from last night which he only will eat like 4bites and say i am full.
Any suggestions on punishing him when he doesn't eat his food like i ask even if i warm it up for him the second time. Should i have not given him his left over supper and just let him go hungry to nap. He prefers to have a liquid diet and fruits more than anything. What do i do?

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 6:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take all punishment and anger out of the situation. I feel you are correct to offer the leftovers once. He will not go hungry. If he says he is full let him be. I would not put him in a time out either. But tell him beforehand that his lunch is his snack if he doesn't eat the lunch. We battled with our youngest over food and it is one of the biggest regrets we have. It was fruitless and made us all stressed out. I feel badly about it to this day and that was 20 years ago. Take the stress and punishment out of it and everyone will be happier. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:51 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Time out isn't really the answer here. You are just making it more of a power struggle. Try to make it appear he has some amount for control. Allow him to pick one of the side dishes. Allow him to help cook. Make sure you have at least one thing you know he will eat on his plate at every meal. he has to eat 2 bites of everything to get second of what he likes. Make the second smalls o he wants thirds but agian require 1-2 bites of everything else. Give him options. DO you want carrots or peas with lunch?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my dd doesn't like to eat a lot either. So I try to have her help me cook now. For breakfast she got out her plastic knife and cut up the potatoes. I cut the onions. We tossed them into the pan, (they were already seasoned). then I let her crack the egg and add the cheese for her eggs. She ate some of her eggs and only a bite of the rest. (we have a rule, she has to have a bite of everything first, then is free to eat what she wants). If she doesn't finish at least one thing on her plate, no snacks between breakfast and lunch. At lunch, she picks what she wants. a fruit, a sandwich and soup or something warmed like that. between lunch and dinner she's allowed ONE snack but it has to be a veggie snack. Then at dinner she gets what we get for dinner most nights.. and is allowed a dessert IF and only IF she eats one whole thing on her plate and tries a bite of everything.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2011