Is it possible to get Rotavirus after being vaccinated?

My son is almost 8 months old, and he got his last dose of the Rotavirus vaccine at his 6 month checkup. He has had some kind of stomach virus for about 4 days now. I am taking him to the pediatrician's office today, but I was just wondering if it was possible for him to have Rotavirus.

kwhite0609

Asked by kwhite0609 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely. It is still possible to get any disease after being vaxed for it, sometimes more likely.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• yes becuz they only vaccinate for that virus. unfortently there are many other flu type viruses out there and they only vacinate for one not all. so if the one they vacinated for its the one going around this year its not going to work.
    Anonymous

• It's possible to get ANY of the diseases after being vaccinated for them. The vaccines are not 100% effective.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Vaccines are never fool proof. Your child can get sick even if they had the vaccine if they came into contact with the virus in the days prior to the vaccination taking place. Also for some vaccinations they do use a live virus or parts of it so that you get the virus although a less harnlful version. Vaccinating is still the best way to try and keep your children healthy. There are so many diseases out there that cause death to children and the elderly that it makes vaccinating your child the best choice.

Answer by gemgem at 2:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I would highly suggest doing research before believing the PP. I, along with many other mothers, do not believe that vaccines are the best way to keep our children healthy! Far from it! And there is plenty of research to back it up!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my dd had all her vaccs and still got rotavirus
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 3:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• From Wikipedia:Rotavirus is a genus of double-stranded RNA virus in the family Reoviridae. It is the leading, single cause of severe diarrhoea among infants and young children. By the age of five, nearly every child in the world has been infected with rotavirus at least once.However, with each infection, immunity develops, subsequent infections are less severe, and adults are rarely affected. There are seven species of this virus, referred to as A, B, C, D, E, F and G. Rotavirus A, the most common, causes more than 90% of infections in humans. So yes, they can get one of the other species of the virus. I gave my son this and now wish I didn't because the immunity is probably better if he gets sick rather than from being vaccinated and he could get it anyway!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2008