How do you feel about religions that differ from yours?

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I completely respect the beliefs of others. However, I will not respect their urge to push their opinions on me. I have zero tolerance for that. I'm very happy with my beliefs and happy for them being happy with theirs. I would like to just leave it at that. ;)
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 1:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't have a problem with anyone's religion as long as they keep it to themselves.

In other words, as long as they don't:
    1. Try to convert me.
    2. Tell my kids I'll go to hell if I don't start believing.
    3. Try to make prayer or religious education required in public schools.
    4. Use public funds for religious reasons.
    5. Try to interfere with scientific progress because of their religious beliefs.
    6. Discriminate against or restrict the rights of others because of their religious beliefs.
    7. Physically harm others in the name of their religion.

I'm sure there's more I should add to my list, but you get the idea.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 6:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I see the commonalities instead of the differences, recognize the common underlying themes and messages, and have equal respect and reverence for each, pulling from each in different ways, believing all are equally valid paths and ways of understanding and relating to the Divine and each other. Different perceptions of the same Reality, IMO, different ways of understanding and perceiving the same Truth/s, each geared towards a specific audience, you could say. I believe the different options are important, since we all have different ways of looking at things and understanding things. One path isn't going to work for everyone - I believe the various faiths is God's way of being able to meet people where they are, in allowing for the personalization of the journey and growth, which is more important, IMO, than right/wrong answers. Real truth, IMO, is transcendent truth that can fit any religious persuasion. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I don't have a religion...but I do have beliefs. I don't give others' religion or beliefs a second thought unless they decide to impose them upon me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It does not bother me that others have different beliefs, but if they try to force their beliefs on me, the person bothers me, more than what their religion teaches.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I'm completely tolerant until someone begins to attack my intelligence for believing how I believe.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I find it interesting and usually ask questions. I like learning all I can about different things.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Hopefully those of you who know me know what I mean, since I'm not explaining it well enough, lol :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I find many religions interesting and enjoy studying some of them. I also enjoy learning about secular philosophies as well. I have especially liked studying some of the parallels between various religions. I think everyone has to find their own path, and think they're equally valid. Personally, I believe they are different names for the same ideas--though different paths exist for a reason--different personalities and cultures. *Most* teach love, kindness, etc.

I generally respect everyone's right to their beliefs, but I don't care for it when people use fear tactics in the attempt to convert people, when people attempt to indoctrinate children, excessive proselytizing practices (though mutual respect, discussion, and debate are good imo), religious practices that cause emotional or physical harm or otherwise infringe on the rights of others, or trying to legislate based on the beliefs of one or two particular religions.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• There's a picture that sums it up quite nicely, but if I post it someone apparently gets their panties in a twist as of this week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011