Do you correct your child when he/she calls your SO/DH ''daddy" ?

Obviously if it's not there biological father. Is there real father in the picture?

my 2yo dd has called my current b/f ''daddy'' by accident, and I corrected her. But my friend whose son is 3, calls her BF ''poppa'' and does not correct him. J/W how others go about that situation....

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not in the same situation as most, but I don't want my kids calling a bf their daddy or dad. I would be corrrecting them. It bothers me to think of them calling another man their father.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• when my son was 3 he asked me if he could call my dh dad...I asked him why and he said "because i never see my dad" so i told him we would ask my dh if it was okay. this was before we were even married. When he got home from work i had told him what he said and his face lit up..he was so happy. My son asked my dh if he would be his dad and he has been calling him dad ever since. He never sees his bio dad and if he speaks about him he refers to him by his name.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• no.. my kids call my DF daddy.. they don't see their real dad so I don't care.. they look at my DF like he's their dad.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My son is 5. His bio-father has faded in and out of his life all his life, but the last time my son saw him was august 2009. My fiance has been around since May of 2009, and now almost 2 years later my son refers to him as his step-dad. Once in awhile he'll say "my dad", referring to fiance, but I don't correct him. Sperm doesn't automatically make you a father, and my son knows who his "dad" is, and calls it as such. If he's talking about his bio-father, which is rare, he typically will say "my old dad" or " my dad before steve (fiance)". In his own 5 year old way he's working out the roles of my fiance and his biological father, and I don't see the need to correct how he feels. Kids know who their "parents" are, and typically they'll call it as such.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think it depends on if the bio father is involved and if the relationship the mother is in with the dh/fiance/SO is a permanent relationship. I would be hesitant to have a child call someone daddy if it might not work out in the end.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2011