Is the info correct?

A Colorado Springs “birther,” retired Air Force Col. Gregory Hollister, has Internet blogs abuzz with what may be an illegal foray into an online Social Security data base and how he obtained a copy of President Barack Obama’s draft registration from 1980.

“Col. Greg Hollister, USAF (Ret.) contacted the Selective Service, falsely impersonated President Obama, improperly registered his own address as President Obama’s address, and by this false impersonation and identity theft he managed to obtain a duplicate registration acknowledgement card with President Obama’s Selective Service information on it,” a blogger posted on gratewire.com last week. “This may violate several federal criminal statutes, and apparently caused the federal record of President Obama’s address with the Selective Service to be altered to show that he lives in Colorado Springs, CO.”

Hollister said Tuesday a private investigator, Susan Daniels of Ohio, gave him what is purported to be the president’s Social Security number. He then accessed the Social Security Number Verification Service to find out to whom it was issued and to access Selective Service documents.

The site allows registered users to verify names and Social Security numbers for employment purposes and warns that using it under false pretenses is a violation of federal law.

“According to the Social Security Administration, that number was never issued,” said Hollister, who challenged whether the president is an American citizen in a lawsuit the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Jan. 18 without requiring a response from the White House.
However, that’s the Social Security number that appears on the Selective Service documents Hollister obtained.

Hollister and others in the birther movement claim Obama was born in either Kenya or Indonesia and that his birth certificate showing he was born in Honolulu in 1961 is a forgery.

Being born outside the U.S. makes him ineligible to be president, they claim, because the Constitution requires the president to be a natural born citizen.

Hollister said the Social Security number on what he says is Obama’s draft registration begins with the numbers 042, which would be issued to someone born in Connecticut, not Hawaii.

Last week, California attorney Orly Taitz, who has led the legal challenges to Obama’s citizenship, filed an amended complaint in her latest lawsuit demanding Obama’s Social Security records, attaching as an exhibit the draft registration mailed to an address in Colorado Springs, according to the Reality Check Radio Blog.

It is unknown if the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Denver is investigating Hollister’s use of the data bases and obtaining Obama’s draft records.

Hollister denied breaking any laws.

“I was very meticulous and made sure everything I did was compliant with the law,” Hollister said, noting that he sent Obama an 1099 tax form.

A 1099 is an IRS income reporting form for independent contractors and free-lancers. Hollister did not explain how sending that to Obama complies with federal laws on the use of Social Security data.

Daniels said her doubts about Obama’s citizenship have only been reinforced by what Hollister found out.

Hollister said he started questioning Obama’s citizenship because as a retired Air Force officer he is subject to recall to active duty until he dies and he needs to be sure that Obama has the authority to give those orders.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/springs-115381-colorado-obama.html#ixzz1I7qqZJYY

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:44 PM on Mar. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think as the POTUS, Obama should just show his birth certificate and put this whole issue to rest. Children play these kinds of games and it is beneath the president of the us to continue with it. Unless, of course, there is something to hide.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I respectfully disagree that it's beating a dead horse.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 7:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I hope he puts this to rest by showing the country his original birth certificate. Why would any one in his position NOT produce what each and every citizen must produce to obtain the most mundane of government services...if only as a show of prudent respect for the office he holds. Curious and shameful at the same time.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 6:56 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• The part about the first digit of one's social security number starting with a "0" WOULD mean that the number was issued to a resident in the New England states. All of my family members have SS# that start with "0" (Massachusetts).

I think the thing Obama is hiding is his surname!! I'd be interested to know whether "Obama" appears on the SS/draft registration card or "Soetoro!" Because, if Obama has been using his current last name on legal documents without the legal paper trail indicating it was formally changed, then THAT is where the ineligibility issue lies!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think if he broke the law to get the info he has much bigger balls than BO.
    I can't imagine that someone processing the request would actually think it was from Obama.

I am certain there is a problem of some sort. Obama has spent way to much money keeping almost his entire history under wraps. Personally I suspect he was born to an unwed mother and this causes issues with the book he wrote about his dad. I also suspect his Indonesian adoption and quite possibly citizenship is still effective. We know for a fact he didn't have a US passport when he traveled to Pakistan in 1981.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It wouldn't surprise me, if it is correct...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• older

Answer by older at 6:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I think the thing Obama is hiding is his surname!! I'd be interested to know whether "Obama" appears on the SS/draft registration card or "Soetoro!" Because, if Obama has been using his current last name on legal documents without the legal paper trail indicating it was formally changed, then THAT is where the ineligibility issue lies!! :o)

Lori, that is just what I believe too!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 3:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/06/obama-birth.html?cid=6a00d8341c630a53ef014e603f0c96970c

Obama's Birth Certificate HAS already been shown. This has been publicized many times ....
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I dunno.
    Hillary Clinton wanted to be President awful bad. People around the Clinton's in the past had increased tendencies to turn up dead.
    So....basically what I'm saying is that IF Obama were hiding something, Hillary Clinton would have been the one to find these things out and expose it. Being as worldly as the Clintons are and so deep with the Democratic party, I would really think they would have been the ones to expose it long before the election, so that Hillary could win.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2011