Staff infection: friend has it, should i put my son on antibotics?

My good friend thinks she may have a staff infection, and of course, she decided to tell me about this during thanks giving dinner yesterday after holding my son for hours before hand. Not only does it give me the heeby jeebies to think about, i'm worried my 10 month old may have caught it. I dont know the symptoms, i dont know what it does to babies, if they can catch it... what will happen if he does catch it etc. Should i take him to his ped and ask for antibiotics as a preventative measure? If anyone knows anything about staff please give me some info!

Aidensmommy111

Asked by Aidensmommy111 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a staph in fection while I was BFing my oldest, he never got it. I also have had one since I've had my LO (16 mos very soon) and he did not catch it either. I think as long as you disinfect things she touched, make sure yours and your DS's hands are clean you should be safe. Just keep an eye out for any suspicious looking sores on your DS. If it looks inflamed at all contact your doctor. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Antibiotics are very serious things and should never be given just as a preventative. If your baby gets staph, you will know and you can deal with it then.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• dont use antibio. as a preventive your child will build up an immunity to them and then when he needs them they wont work, staph infections are spread through open sores and body fluids if i am correct and if so her holding him wont spread it i would call the dr if youare worried
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 3:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2008